Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto industry mobilizes to keep EV tax credit alive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is heartening to observe GM come out so strongly in favor. Cynically, with Tesla and Nissan the only makers anywhere in immediate risk of running out of credits in the current system, it's quite reasonable for GM to adopt that point of view.

It is heartening to observe GM come out so strongly in favor. Cynically, with Tesla and Nissan the only makers anywhere in immediate risk of running out of credits in the current system, it's quite reasonable for GM to adopt that point of view.
Actually GM will run out about the same time as Tesla. Don't forget that all those years of Volts count. I think it is actually competitively better for Tesla for the credits to go away, although clearly worse for the EV industry as a whole, so I guess Tesla is sort of neutral.

Actually GM will run out about the same time as Tesla. Don't forget that all those years of Volts count. I think it is actually competitively better for Tesla for the credits to go away, although clearly worse for the EV industry as a whole, so I guess Tesla is sort of neutral.
How could I have ignored that?:eek:

Auto industry mobilizes to keep EV tax credit alive

Is this a surprise? Will they be successful?
Interesting that there was zero reference to Tesla.

No, it's not a surprise.

Given that:
- ZEV credit requirements are increasing
- From 2018 Model Year the credits don't travel
- Most plug-in sales are heavily dependent on the tax credit
- The US market is relatively large
- 200k x 7.5k = 1.5B.
- China will be introducing a similar credit system
... the companies recognize that the loss of the $7.5k tax credit will mean having to dump a lot of money into credit purchase or rebates.

Without a doubt the biggest loser will be the middle class consumer...nothing new here.