Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Lane Change and Lane Departure Avoidance bug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Ever since 2019.16, I get the warning that "lane departure avoidance is limited - if problem persists, contact Tesla Service". The warning goes away if I change the LDA setting to "warning" or "off".

Also, when AP or NOA are engaged, the car will do auto lanes to the left but not do auto lane changes to the right. If I hit the blinker for a right lane change, I get the dashed blue lines like when the car is about to auto lane change but then they go back to a solid blue line and the car stays in the lane.

I am not getting any other warnings. I am thinking it is a software bug with 2019.16 maybe?

It sounds like there might be an issue with the right repeater. I've had an instance recently when the camera recalibrates during a drive, and is unavailable for a short period of time. Tesla support also alluded this to being one reason why my TeslaCam files aren't being written properly. So far, this all seems software related, but I have had one instance with a repeater getting covered during rain.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
If its constant then yes I'd say the camera on the right is messed up... otherwise your turn signal is probably needing a replacement. Mine wouldn't stay on for the left so all lane changes would cancel. I get the limited message when parked in sunlight or next to a building, as soon as I start to roll it goes away once the cameras have visibility.

If its constant then yes I'd say the camera on the right is messed up... otherwise your turn signal is probably needing a replacement. Mine wouldn't stay on for the left so all lane changes would cancel. I get the limited message when parked in sunlight or next to a building, as soon as I start to roll it goes away once the cameras have visibility.

Yes, the LDA warning is constant. What's weird is that I still see cars in my right blind spot. So that would seem to suggest that my right repeater is ok. Plus, if the right repeater were damaged or non functioning, wouldn't I get a message about that?

Maybe my turn signal needs replaced? Good point.

I guess I can wait to the next software update to see if that fixes it. Otherwise, I will schedule a service appointment.

Yes, the LDA warning is constant. What's weird is that I still see cars in my right blind spot. So that would seem to suggest that my right repeater is ok. Plus, if the right repeater were damaged or non functioning, wouldn't I get a message about that?

Maybe my turn signal needs replaced? Good point.

I guess I can wait to the next software update to see if that fixes it. Otherwise, I will schedule a service appointment.
I would make a service appointment... sounds likes hardware to me

I scheduled my service appointment for this Wednesday, June 12 at 9:45am. It will be interesting to see what they find. I can't find what's wrong, unless it really is some fluke software bug. My blinker seems to work so I don't think it's an issue with that. AP is able to steer so it's not a steering issue. NOA is able to steer right to take exits. So it's not an issue with NOA not being able to steer. My repeater camera is working since it is detecting cars in my right blind spot and tracking lanes on the right. NOA will indicate a right lane change and turn the blinker on. So clearly, NOA is still planning to do right lane changes. And in regular AP, I get the dashed blue lines like when AP is about to make a lane change. But the car just refuses to do the lane change. It's like there is something telling the car not to do lane changes to the right. Again, it's only with lane changes because NOA will take exits on the right just fine. Weird. In any case, I will report back on Wednesday after Tesla Service finishes.

Ever since 2019.16, I get the warning that "lane departure avoidance is limited - if problem persists, contact Tesla Service". The warning goes away if I change the LDA setting to "warning" or "off".

Also, when AP or NOA are engaged, the car will do auto lanes to the left but not do auto lane changes to the right. If I hit the blinker for a right lane change, I get the dashed blue lines like when the car is about to auto lane change but then they go back to a solid blue line and the car stays in the lane.

I am not getting any other warnings. I am thinking it is a software bug with 2019.16 maybe?

Reply: I get same warning message occasionally when pulling into my darker and smaller garage on a brighter daylight day. Tesla Tech says warning originates from response of left and right cameras in the rearview mirror pod. He also said that it was OK to simply ignore the message because there is no way to adjust the sensitivity of the warning. This has only to do with the warning message, not with the behavior of the car on the road. Thanks.

Reply: I get same warning message occasionally when pulling into my darker and smaller garage on a brighter daylight day. Tesla Tech says warning originates from response of left and right cameras in the rearview mirror pod. He also said that it was OK to simply ignore the message because there is no way to adjust the sensitivity of the warning. This has only to do with the warning message, not with the behavior of the car on the road. Thanks.

Mobile Service replaced my right repeater camera. It fixed all my issues.