Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to turn off automatic lane changes on new autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the latest autopilot update, any time I engage it, it starts changing lanes automatically. In the past, you had to use the blinker to get the car to change lanes.

The problem is that I don't have an HOV sticker and it keeps changing lanes into an HOV lane, which is illegal. Does anyone know how I can still use autopilot, but turn off automatic lane changing?

I believe you are referring to FSD changing lanes on it own, before making the actual change it prompts a message on screen with instructions on how to cancel the lane change, it’s usually by tapping the indicator stalk . Hope this helps

Since the latest autopilot update, any time I engage it, it starts changing lanes automatically. In the past, you had to use the blinker to get the car to change lanes.

The problem is that I don't have an HOV sticker and it keeps changing lanes into an HOV lane, which is illegal. Does anyone know how I can still use autopilot, but turn off automatic lane changing?
I'm no expert on FSD, but there is an option for "Minimal Lane Changes," which I haven't tried yet. Have you tried that to see if it improves things?

From what I understand, that option isn't sticky between drives, so you'll have to reset it, but if you set your left steering wheel shortcut to the one that lets you specify chill / average / agressive, it has a button there to also turn Minimal Lane Change on.

I have a similar issue with FSD. I would like to use it while I blissfully cruise at 55 mph in the right lane; however, FSD insists on a lane change out of the "rightmost lane." This action is not changed when I enable "Minimal Lane Changes." Also, the action occurs almost too quickly to cancel it, and, even if cancel, the action repeats itself shortly thereafter. There does not seem to be a way to stop this behavior.

The problem is that, when out of the rightmost lane, it is nearly impossible to stay at 55 mph, with aggressive drivers pulling up and passing during any period of traffic.

If you’re planning to drive on the highway and don’t need FSD, create a separate profile that disables FSD and uses Autosteer instead. That way the only lane changes you’ll get are the ones you initiate. I liked things better before when you could turn FSD or Navigate on Autopilot on or off at any time, without switching profiles.

• Informative
Reactions: Technokrat