Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Shanghai (April 21-28) - What to check out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on going to the Auto Shanghai (show alternates annually with Beijing).

I am interested in checking out Chinese and imported EV cars, as well as OEM suppliers to EV makers at the show, and I'd like to know what TMC would think what is worth checking out.

I don't have a nice list of the exhibitors, but I do have the floor plan. Many have English names, some do not. Some with Chinese only names are OEM suppliers or and/or only peripherally connected to the auto industry (never mind EV).

In particular, I'd like to drill down on the battery cells (characteristics and performance of its chemistry) and packs (i.e. passive or active thermo management). I do find autonomy very interesting, but I don't expect to get too much info on that. Not really focused on the "glider" part of the car (interior or exterior). Charing is interesting to me as well. Hope to get tidbits on local incentives (and barriers) to for Tesla in particular on both a national and local level. In Beijing (where I am now), you have a much better chance to buy and register a car by apply to the "New Energy" lottery than the ICE lottery (Tesla not being at a disadvantage relative to domestic EV makers), while in other cities, financial incentives sometimes exclude Tesla.

While I have been following Tesla and other EV for sometime, I have not paid too much attention lately, and I hope to make amends. I'll be going with a native Chinese speaker, so that will help with asking questions. Things are different here- a press release from an Electric Bike OEM supplier of lead acid batteries praising its efforts to penatrate the Chinese EV market. That said, it does not mean China is not important. To the contrary, in the long run, China will have a big voice, both for its own domestic consumption and export to other markets, with Tesla being a big player on both fronts.

Here is the link: http://autoshanghai.auto-fairs.com/dokumente/upload/c3c98_ats2017_gesamt_an.pdf

The shows main English page is: Autoshanghai - autoshanghai.auto-fairs.com