Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic (auto) High Beams slow to react

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Model S P100D`s auto high beams are slow to react to oncoming traffic and the high beams are staying on even in well lighted areas. Anyone else having issues with the auto high beams?

I had a 2015 Model S 85D and the auto high beams worked excellent in that car, no problems with it at all.

My 2018 Model S P100D`s auto high beams are slow to react to oncoming traffic and the high beams are staying on even in well lighted areas.

Interesting - on my '17 MS I would say exactly the opposite. It cuts to low beams at apparently any light in view including porch lights. It's almost impossible to have auto high beams on a residential street with no traffic. On the freeway they work well and will go to low beams at the first sight of oncoming traffic or approaching tail lights within maybe 1/4 mile.

There must be an adjustment somewhere.

Reactions: croman and audiofan
I suspect there is a speed input. When driving down our dirt road slowly avoiding potholes, headlights stay on low beams even without any lights ahead. On regular roads at speed they seem to work well.

Reactions: audiofan
I have intermittent issues with Auto high beam too. I wonder if it has to do with the adjustment of the bulbs.

I have similar residential street issues as @KArnold above, i.e., street signs and porch lights seem to trigger the lights to dim back down. And most of the time, the car will detect oncoming traffic and dim down but not always. But it's pretty good and could be better.

Reactions: audiofan