Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Emergency Braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have been considering getting a Model X lately, but what we saw on the 57 Northbound this morning gave us pause. I wish I had been able to take a picture (I was driving).

A Model X was totalled (in the front) from what appeared to be a collision with a sedan. i.e. the Model X rear-ended the sedan, hard. It looks like it hit it at 50+, but I only saw the recent aftermath (everyone seemed ok) and it was before the cops and tow truck came.

All Tesla vehicles have automatic braking unless disabled, right? Whether or not it's in Autopilot?

Traffic was already moderate so it's not like it hit a stopped emergency vehicle.

Any thoughts on this issue are welcome. We are considering a 2019 Model X.

Thanks,

We have been considering getting a Model X lately, but what we saw on the 57 Northbound this morning gave us pause. I wish I had been able to take a picture (I was driving).

A Model X was totalled (in the front) from what appeared to be a collision with a sedan. i.e. the Model X rear-ended the sedan, hard. It looks like it hit it at 50+, but I only saw the recent aftermath (everyone seemed ok) and it was before the cops and tow truck came.

All Tesla vehicles have automatic braking unless disabled, right? Whether or not it's in Autopilot?

Traffic was already moderate so it's not like it hit a stopped emergency vehicle.

Thanks,
correct.

Automatic Emergency Braking does not apply the brakes, or stops applying the brakes, when:
  • You turn the steering wheel sharply.
  • You press and release the brake pedal while Automatic Emergency Braking is applying the brakes.
  • You accelerate hard while Automatic Emergency Braking is applying the brakes.
  • The vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian is no longer detected ahead.

Reactions: Falcon73

Since it doesnt sound like you saw the accident, none of us have any idea what happened. Teslas have automatic emergency braking but that wouldnt necessarily stop that.

Expect this feature to work exactly the same as the model Y, which it appears you either already have or used to have.

Reactions: Falcon73
Thank you for the input. We used to have a MYLR, but only for 2 months (November thru January). We are considering re-joining the ranks, but not with a MY most likely. I also ALMOST bought a 2019 MX 100D 2 weeks ago, but let's just say my wife wasn't exactly on board with the idea yet... :oops:

No, we didn't see the accident. It probably happened just a few minute before we got there. The fact that the front right of the MX was in much worse shape than the front left might indicate a sharp (turn) intervention by the driver.

Thank you. It sounds like the system should do what we expect and as-always we need to remain aware. Our MYLR had no problems with Autopilot, but (thankfully) we never tested the emergency braking.