Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the model 3 supposed to apply the brakes automatically to avoid a Front collision?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had AEB activate on one occasion so I can at least confirm it's there. I was in heavy traffic on the highway, going relatively slow. Traffic in front of me stopped so I had to stop too. I saw in my rear view mirror that the person behind me might not have enough room to stop without hitting me so I slowed down planning to get very close to the car in front (a foot or so). I think I was only using regen to slow down. The car decided to apply the brakes as it thought I'd hit the car in front. The car behind didn't hit me but that left him less room to work... To the driver in the back it must have looked like I was not paying attention and slammed the brakes. I was not happy. But after reflecting on what had happened, I eventually understood.
I had the AEB activated a couple times under similar circumstances when I was slowing down to stop close to the car in front of me. Of course, the system can't predict that I was planning an aggressive stop, and pushed the brakes harder than I planned. Based on this experience, I would NOT let the AEB do work instead of me if I want to make sure to avoid any accidents. It's like the last resort thing to protect against possible injuries, not to prevent negligence.

The 2015 car I sold to buy the 2022 Telsa had cross traffic monitoring and I really miss that feature. The dumb thing is that I think the Model 3 I have has all the needed sensors, Tesla just didn't care to write the software to make it a feature. This kind of attitude may be okay when their cars are in high demand, but when more competition comes their cars won't stack up.
When you say 'cross traffic monitoring' are you talking about being alerted when backing up and someone is about to cross your path? If so, Elon has said himself that you should be backing up into parking spots so that when you pull out you're going forward. Ergo, you are your own cross traffic monitor. That's why they didn't build out that function.

When you say 'cross traffic monitoring' are you talking about being alerted when backing up and someone is about to cross your path? If so, Elon has said himself that you should be backing up into parking spots so that when you pull out you're going forward. Ergo, you are your own cross traffic monitor. That's why they didn't build out that function.
That's a stupid excuse. What about when you park in a 45 degree parking space? The guy behind you honking his ass off to move. You can't turn around to back in. God, I can't believe all the excuses being made.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a stupid excuse. What about when you park in a 45 degree parking space? The guy behind you honking his ass off to move. You can't turn around to back in. God, I can't believe all the excuses being made for the head twit (it's work half what he paid) who is now an expert in global affairs.
45 degree spaces you can see the travel lane in the rear camera. Rear cross traffic is only really necessary for 90 degrees spots where you can't see the travel lane. Tesla apparently avoids that for their automated features, by backing into 90 degree spots (plus their superchargers are designed for back in also). Anyways, as others point out, no Tesla has the rear corner radars necessary for it, it has nothing to do with the USS.

Last edited:
45 degree spaces you can see the travel lane in the rear camera. Rear cross traffic is only really necessary for 90 degrees spots where you can't see the travel lane. Tesla apparently avoids that for their automated features, by backing into 90 degree spots (plus their superchargers are designed for back in also). Anyways, as others point out, no Tesla has the rear corner radars necessary for it, it has nothing to do with the USS.
Point made on 45 degree parking BUT it is insane to make excuses for not including the most important safety features. After all, it's all in the code.
In the past couple years I've either been almost been hit or hit a pedestrian crossing my path while backing out. Also, see how long people are willing to wait for you to back into a parking space in a crowded lot.

• Disagree
Reactions: XPsionic
Point made on 45 degree parking BUT it is insane to make excuses for not including the most important safety features. After all, it's all in the code.
In the past couple years I've either been almost been hit or hit a pedestrian crossing my path while backing out. Also, see how long people are willing to wait for you to back into a parking space in a crowded lot.

Again most rear cross traffic systems use two rear-mounted corner radars.

Which tesla has never had.

So it's not "in the code" it's literally HW the car does not have.

(and that you don't need if you back in-- which is objectively safer for 90 degree parking, and which isn't relevant for 45 degree where you can see just fine)

I have had a long conversation with Tesla yesterday and they have indeed opened a claim request for me ( I don’t know what does that mean though) and are gojng to deep dive into this to see what the issue really was .. Expected SLA is 3-5 weeks.

Reactions: alexgr
One more thing ( I just attached the picture of the crash). Is it a possibility that the AEB didn’t work as expected since it was the corner edge of the car ??

Attachments

• DE70C5C5-E921-410E-B68A-0F922967D77F.jpeg
    DE70C5C5-E921-410E-B68A-0F922967D77F.jpeg
    622.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Automatic Emergency Braking is more about speed reduction to reduce the severity of the crash. Complete stopping is not guaranteed.
As the previous poster said there's not cameras in the back so code needs to be written. What's the excuse for the front cameras. If the computer can react faster than me I want the car to stop a forward collision or killing a pedestrian. If not, then where is the autonomy?

• Disagree
One more thing ( I just attached the picture of the crash). Is it a possibility that the AEB didn’t work as expected since it was the corner edge of the car ??
As you said, the car in front of you suddenly stopped. But as you seemed to be driving on a curve, the AEB might have not seen a car in the straight pass line. It will be interesting to see what Tesla says about this.

I suspect that would fall under this:

Several factors can affect the performance of Automatic Emergency Braking, causing either no braking or inappropriate or untimely braking, such as when a vehicle is partially in the path of travel or there is road debris.

As that would appear to be a case where the vehicle was partially in the path of travel.

Again most rear cross traffic systems use two rear-mounted corner radars.

Which tesla has never had.

So it's not "in the code" it's literally HW the car does not have.

(and that you don't need if you back in-- which is objectively safer for 90 degree parking, and which isn't relevant for 45 degree where you can see just fine)
I think the more salient point is WHY the car doesn't have the hardware when many others do. I think that it was an effort on Musk's part (among many other things) to keep the cost of the car down to the $35k level he said it would sell for. The you-should-always-back-in excuse was just a pretext to justify not installing the hardware in the first place. I believe this is the same reasoning for why there's no blind spot indicator on the side mirrors; costs more (and he didn't even wanna install mirrors in the first place).

I suspect that would fall under this:

As that would appear to be a case where the vehicle was partially in the path of travel.
Yep, AEB typically does not brake if swerving remains a viable option. Given the picture by the OP, the car easily could have expected the OP to swerve around the car, as is commonly done when cars are partially occupying the lane (instead of being in the center of the lane). Manual also says AEB does not activate if "You turn the steering wheel sharply."

So basically the OP's situation was well within the explicitly laid out limitations of AEB, it wasn't even an outlier situation that was not part of explicit limitations.

Forward Collision Warning is for guidance purposes only and is not a substitute for attentive driving and sound judgment. Keep your eyes on the road when driving and never depend on Forward Collision Warning to warn you of a potential collision. Several factors can reduce or impair performance, causing either unnecessary, invalid, inaccurate, or missed warnings. Depending on Forward Collision Warning to warn you of a potential collision can result in serious injury or death. Automatic Emergency Braking is not designed to prevent all collisions. In certain situations, it can minimize the impact of a frontal collision by attempting to reduce your driving speed. Depending on Automatic Emergency Braking to avoid a collision can result in serious injury or death.
It did its job. You didn't die and there wasn't serious injury.

I think the more salient point is WHY the car doesn't have the hardware when many others do.

Because the intent was for the car to drive, and park, itself.

And you'll notice auto-park backs into spots for 90 degree parking.

In which case there's no need for rear cross-radar, since you'll never be backing OUT of a space.

Certainly it's also a cost savings- but if your intended design never needs a thing in the first place, why add it?

Because the intent was for the car to drive, and park, itself.

And you'll notice auto-park backs into spots for 90 degree parking.

In which case there's no need for rear cross-radar, since you'll never be backing OUT of a space.

Certainly it's also a cost savings- but if your intended design never needs a thing in the first place, why add it?
Nothing you said removes the need for lateral side radar. Sure, pulling out gives better visibility than backing out, but you still can’t see around cars and neither can the front cameras.

The car is terrible at driving at parking itself currently, and not every Tesla even has the option to. So it’s asinine to say the car is made to do those things itself therefore does not need radar when most of the time for most of the fleet, the car is in fact not self parking. Not to mention not every parking situation allows backing in.

Even if it did drive and park itself all the time, it would still benefit from side radar because the car doesn’t have the benefit of additional sensory input (eg binaurial hearing) that further assists in human driving and parking.

Some cars are now coming with rear AND front lateral side radar for rear cross traffic alert when reversing and for front cross traffic alert at intersections (eg red light runners) or pulling out when visibility is limited (eg buildings, parked cars, trees, etc).