Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the model 3 supposed to apply the brakes automatically to avoid a Front collision?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is Tesla behind other manufacturers?? I've seen commercials (Subaru and I believe Volvo) who demonstrate fully automatic braking when the driver is distracted in order to avoid a collision. Granted, there may have been fine print in the commercial stating that it's not guaranteed to avoid a collision, but the ads are pretty compelling in and of themselves. I've tripped the collision warning a few times but never felt so much as a whisper that the car was braking for me.

Is the Model 3 suppose to apply the emergency brakes automatically in order to avoid a frint collision? The car in front of me stopped suddenly and until I can take any action , my model 3 hit the car from behind.
Kinda, sort-of.
But like every other Tesla feature, it works unpredictably and unreliably.

The car in front of me stopped suddenly and until I can take any action , my model 3 hit the car from behind.
Sorry to hear about that, but that's entirely on you.
It's really hard to come up with a scenario where events unfolding in front of your eyes were are surprise. At least to anyone older than 3.

This stuff is all tested by multiple government agencies in multiple countries....and Tesla consistently ranks as the safest cars in the world including on these exact items.

That's MISLEADING on at two (2) counts.
  1. ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) features, including forward collision warning (FCW), are not part of US government's tests or certifications.
  2. Model 3 is NOT on the IIHS top-10 "safest" list, at all: 2023 IIHS Top Safety Picks
    • The only entity that claims "Teslas are safer" is Elon himslef, without any legitimate validation, through random self-serving twits.
a

So is Tesla behind other manufacturers?? I've seen commercials (Subaru and I believe Volvo) who demonstrate fully automatic braking when the driver is distracted in order to avoid a collision.

The only automaker to commercially launch an ADAS Level 3 vehicle is Mercedes with S-Class and EQS, not the T-car.

Merc also is advertising L4 in Germany, but not the US.

Tesla's ADAS features haven't materially improved over the 4+ years I've had the car.
If anything, the most recent radar-less Model 3's have become less safe.

It is what it is, folks. No point in pretending otherwise.
a

As driver assistance features become more advanced there surely will come a day when cars can automatically intervene to prevent collisions. But today is not that day, hence the owner's manual language clearly stating that it is "not designed to avoid a collision."

The car will try to alert you, it may increase brake boost pressure, and it might even apply the brakes to some extent, but that's it. The rest is up to you.
How come other ICE cars have this feature?

The only automaker to commercially launch an ADAS Level 3 vehicle is Mercedes with S-Class and EQS, not the T-car.

Tesla's ADAS features haven't materially improved over the 4+ years I've had the car.

a
This is not a discussion of self-driving. AEB is a standard feature on many many cars, and it has nothing to do with their ability to drive themselves with or without supervision.

The point here is that the AEB is not designed to prevent the accidents even though sometimes it indeed prevents them. It is interesting that unlike Subaru or Volvo, I don't remember Tesla making specific statements that its AEB will prevent collisions.

It is very likely that if Tesla in question were driving on AP, it would stop without an hitting the car in front of it. I would be interested to listen to engineers or people who know more about Tesla and other cars with AEB and TACC if TACC is safer in completely avoiding rear end collisions than AEB.

The Model 3 does have AEB, unlike what some other members might be incorrectly implying

It is very likely that if Tesla in question were driving on AP, it would stop without an hitting the car in front of it. I would be interested to listen to engineers or people who know more about Tesla and other cars with AEB and TACC if TACC is safer in completely avoiding rear end collisions than AEB.
Tesla Model 3 has AEB, it's been tested by Euro NCAP, it will brake as long as the driver isn't actively doing something to cancel it (like pressing on the accelerator).

Video from the Euro NCAP testing for a 2019 Model 3

Car should brake (and most probably stop and avoid a crash) as long as you don't do anything that would deactivate Auto Emergency braking as listed in the owner's manual, such as:
  • You turn the steering wheel sharply.
  • You press and release the brake pedal while Automatic Emergency Braking is applying the brakes.
  • You accelerate hard while Automatic Emergency Braking is applying the brakes.
  • The vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian is no longer detected ahead

And here's a Euro NCAP test for the 2022 Model Y without radar. Time stamped for the AEB parts of the test, day and night.

Last edited:

a
Mercedes’ drive pilot doesn’t look that good to me…

Last edited:
Reactions: alexgr

Because you didn't read the owner's manual. There are no such cars with any such features, and yes I have seen the TV commercials and YouTube videos above. There are no AEB systems in existence that *will* prevent a crash, they merely *might* prevent a crash in certain scenarios. And as far as I know, Tesla has the world's best technology and performance in this regard, with or without radar and ultrasonic.

But like every other Tesla feature, it works unpredictably and unreliably...Model 3 is NOT on the IIHS top-10 "safest" list, at all: 2023 IIHS Top Safety Picks
  • The only entity that claims "Teslas are safer" is Elon himslef, without any legitimate validation, through random self-serving twits.

Incorrect. Tesla pretty much always tops all safety ratings from all agencies and is pretty much always in the "top picks" category. But for undisclosed reasons, IIHS decided to hide their 2023 Tesla test results and provide them only in response to direct searches. And as expected, the Lexus that IIHS chose as their #1 top pick of 2023 is laughably dangerous compared to the Tesla:

1679872527924.png

1679872504622.png

Reactions: Pkmmte and XPsionic
  1. ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) features, including forward collision warning (FCW), are not part of US government's tests or certifications.
  2. Model 3 is NOT on the IIHS top-10 "safest" list, at all: 2023 IIHS Top Safety Picks
a
It wasn't tested as a 2023 model, it was tested as a 21 model and was on the 2022 list.

1679873148297.png

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr and SO16
Kinda, sort-of.
But like every other Tesla feature, it works unpredictably and unreliably.

Sorry to hear about that, but that's entirely on you.
It's really hard to come up with a scenario where events unfolding in front of your eyes were are surprise. At least to anyone older than 3.

a
The 2023 Tesla Model 3 is a IIHS top safety pick +.

Because you didn't read the owner's manual. There are no such cars with any such features, and yes I have seen the TV commercials and YouTube videos above. There are no AEB systems in existence that *will* prevent a crash, they merely *might* prevent a crash in certain scenarios. And as far as I know, Tesla has the world's best technology and performance in this regard, with or without radar and ultrasonic.

Incorrect. Tesla pretty much always tops all safety ratings from all agencies and is pretty much always in the "top picks" category. But for undisclosed reasons, IIHS decided to hide their 2023 Tesla test results and provide them only in response to direct searches. And as expected, the Lexus that IIHS chose as their #1 top pick of 2023 is laughably dangerous compared to the Tesla:

View attachment 921647

View attachment 921646

Last edited:

That's not a list of cars with the best AEB technology, it's a list of best advertising sponsors who make cars with AEB.

To be fair, when it comes to driver assistance technologies, Tesla is one of the worst in the industry: Phantom braking, lousy auto high beams, lousy auto wipers, no park assist, no USS, no cross traffic monitor, no birds-eye view, and no real blind spot indicators. That's pretty damn bad by any standard. But the topic of this thread is AEB and safety, two of the many topics in which they lead the industry.

Reactions: Rocket_man
It feels like you're trying to blame Tesla for following too closely and failing to break in time. The Tesla can, and usually will help, but you must understand it has no actual obligation to, or guarantee that it will. You are the driver and are 100% responsible for everything the vehicle does.
Yep, that's what it sounds like too. AEB (in all brands) is not guaranteed to brake for every scenario. It brakes for the standardized testing scenarios, but there are a ton of different road scenarios that can happen and no system guarantees that it can brake for everything (this applies even for scenarios that the manual does not explicitly exclude). If people are coming in with the idea that it brakes for every situation, they have the wrong idea.

For people that wants all the safety features to be most aggressive, they should enable every feature/chime and set FCW to early.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedModel3
I have had AEB activate on one occasion so I can at least confirm it's there. I was in heavy traffic on the highway, going relatively slow. Traffic in front of me stopped so I had to stop too. I saw in my rear view mirror that the person behind me might not have enough room to stop without hitting me so I slowed down planning to get very close to the car in front (a foot or so). I think I was only using regen to slow down. The car decided to apply the brakes as it thought I'd hit the car in front. The car behind didn't hit me but that left him less room to work... To the driver in the back it must have looked like I was not paying attention and slammed the brakes. I was not happy. But after reflecting on what had happened, I eventually understood.

That's not a list of cars with the best AEB technology, it's a list of best advertising sponsors who make cars with AEB.

To be fair, when it comes to driver assistance technologies, Tesla is one of the worst in the industry: Phantom braking, lousy auto high beams, lousy auto wipers, no park assist, no USS, no cross traffic monitor, no birds-eye view, and no real blind spot indicators. That's pretty damn bad by any standard. But the topic of this thread is AEB and safety, two of the many topics in which they lead the industry.
The 2015 car I sold to buy the 2022 Telsa had cross traffic monitoring and I really miss that feature. The dumb thing is that I think the Model 3 I have has all the needed sensors, Tesla just didn't care to write the software to make it a feature. This kind of attitude may be okay when their cars are in high demand, but when more competition comes their cars won't stack up.