Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Windshield Wiper Issue—rains but delay is way too long

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else experience the auto wiper delay between cycles is way too long? A sprinkle and the auto does activate. However, the cycle between wipes is long and the window has been covered causing difficulty on seeing out. I have to usually switch to manual.

Where is the rain sensor btw?
I have experienced the same issue since the last update. Previously my wipers would come on for no reason. Now they do come on with it starts to rain, but the intervals between swipes is WAY too long.

Reactions: brianbcc
I believe if you search this site for "wipers" you will find more threads than you know what to do with. Short answer is, yes, many (many many many many) have noticed that the "automatic" wipers (which are actually in beta still I think) do not work as well as one would hope.

The main reason is because tesla did not use a sensor like almost every car that has auto wipers, instead they went with training from their neural net to accomplish the same thing. In some firmwares people report its better, and in some people report its worse. In general in my experience, it seems to depend on time of day and amount of rain.

The "auto" (use that term losely) wipers are easily the largest frustration I have with the car, and (other than "fit / finish") are the only area I feel my BMWs were clearly superior.
DITTO. My Audi is way superior in those two areas, 1. Fit and Finish 2. Auto wipers

I have experienced the same issue since the last update. Previously my wipers would come on for no reason. Now they do come on with it starts to rain, but the intervals between swipes is WAY too long.
Personally I'd rather it be this way than to err on too much swipes. It's easy to push the button for an extra swipe, but no practical way to get the car to swipe less. However, different people have different preferences, something Tesla could have easily addressed if they allowed toggling the sensitivity and swipe aggressiveness.