Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wiper fluid spray button WAY too sensitive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forewarning: this is NOT another of dozens of already existing posts about the auto wiper setting.

This is an inquiry/complaint about the sensitivity of the windshield wiper fluid dispenser tap on the button.

So, in my 2023 Model 3 (and other models/years afaik), the left stalk end button does the following:

Quick tap - activates one windshield wiper wipe and the windshield wiper settings access (so that I can set my wiper speed).
Longer tap - activates the windshield wiper fluid to spray onto the windshield, followed by several wipes.

But I accidentally activate the windshield wiper fluid spray feature all the time. I need the lightest touch and lightning fingers just to properly activate the wipers without spraying the fluid. It literally takes conscious effort for me and, when doing it out of muscle memory, I almost always fail and end up spraying the wiper fluid.

In all the other cars I have driven, the spray is either a separate button, a press in another direction, or at least a second or two press to activate the fluid spray feature. It is only a Tesla where a half press vs full press on a feather-weight-trigger of a button makes the difference between the two responses.

This is irritating since:

a) the fluid doesn't just spray on the windshield, but residue drops get all around it too (especially on the freeway). If only a few light drops came down, I'm now left with wiper fluid smears and streaks wherever on the frontend of my car until I wash it again.
b) If I am activating the windshield wipers to clear water from the windshield that is obscuring my view, there is about a one-second delay, where I not only have the water I was trying to clear, but I also now have wiper fluid dousing on there (before the wipers activate and can get rid of it). It could one day, in the wrong moment, actually be a safety hazard with bad consequences.

Has anyone else had issues with the sensitivity of this button, or do I just have personal issues with my fingers working properly? Or is that button sensitivity in my car malfunctioning?

Reactions: Jeff-4
Definitely sounds like something is different for you; I have to “deep press” and hold for washers.
Same with mine, if I lightly press the button, I get only the wipers. If I push the button all the way in, I get wipers and fluid. It is a little touchy, but I got used to it.
The length of time I hold the button in determines how long the fluid pump activates.

Reactions: SuperPigDots
Upvote 0
Can't say I've ever activated the wash by accident. In fact, I had the opposite problem and didn't realize you had to press down to a 2nd detent to get a spray! Almost brought my car in for service because of this 😅
I made the mistake of complaining about the "defect" to Mobile Service when they were out for something else. That's how I learned how it actually works. So, somebody was in fact that dumb. 👈

• Funny
Reactions: rpiotro and rb14060
Upvote 0
I am sorry that I didn't get back sooner. Life has been crazy lately. But, the strangest thing happened. Within a week or two after I posted this post, my button suddenly became less sensitive and seems to work normally now, just like everyone else here is describing. It is NOT my imagination; it's a very distinct difference. Idk if it was an update or a new car wiper button break-in period? I am baffled. But I will test it some more to see if it reverts back to oversensitivty.

Upvote 0