Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automation apps - Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for the more 'techy' minded folks I think (but all experience welcome!):

I'm not that good with it (tech) however I have read in places that phones can be set up to automate tasks - I particularly would like my phone hotspot to 'activate' and the car connect to it automatically each time I get in.

Phone is Samsung S10 5G
Car is MYP

So:

Firstly; is this possible?
Secondly; what apps/tech would you recommend to facilitate it
Thirdly; are there any security issues I'd need to worry about (beyond the day to day stuff)
Lastly; are there any other techy quirks you'd recommend

TIA

I use 'Routines' on a Samsung phone. These are part of Bixby which is built in to the Samsung operating system, no need to download anything additional.

My routine states that when the phone detects that I'm driving and bluetooth is connected to the car, then turn on mobile hotspot, keep phone unlocked and read notifications from whatsapp/slack aloud. When the driving ends then it reverses the above.

Been using this for a couple of years and works well.

1672925566674.png

I use 'Routines' on a Samsung phone. These are part of Bixby which is built in to the Samsung operating system, no need to download anything additional.

My routine states that when the phone detects that I'm driving and bluetooth is connected to the car, then turn on mobile hotspot, keep phone unlocked and read notifications from whatsapp/slack aloud. When the driving ends then it reverses the above.

Been using this for a couple of years and works well.

View attachment 892579
Absolute bingo! Thank you - I've managed to do this on my phone, will test it with the car shortly. 👍

Any other 'smart' quirks you'd like to share?

Reactions: Medved_77
Any other 'smart' quirks you'd like to share?
I use the routines app for other non-Tesla related automations but the routine I posted is all I personally require for the car.

It can be used to launch phone apps automatically when it detects you're driving e.g. waze, ABRP if required. You can also use the location function to send a text to someone when you're 10 mins from home etc. Open gate/garage door if those can be controlled via internet.

Just have a play and see what you can find! :)

Reactions: AndyWarrington