Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it only about efficiency, or that it also requires less electricity? I read that it's somewhere around 3x more efficient than current electric motors. Boeing taking a look at it can be a good sign :)

http://www.flynnresearch.net/technology/PPMT technology white paper.pdf

In a PPMT motor the rotor is similar to a conventional Variable Reluctance Motor (VRM). VRMs are often used
for stepper motors. Like a VRM, the rotor of the PPMT motor is a high permeability iron laminate with no coils or
magnets on the rotor. That is where the similarity to a VRM ends. Unlike a VRM, the stator portion of the PPMT
motor includes permanent magnets. For each pair of magnets, two coils are wound onto the stator. In a
conventional VRM, coils are wound around each stator pole and the flux generated by current flowing in these
coils is used to generate torque. In the PPMT motor the permanent magnet flux plus the induced flux from
the load current add to generate the shaft torque. Torque is optimized by proper timing in the switching of
the stator coils. The coils provide a flux steering service in directing the permanent magnet’s flux to the proper
poles at the proper times to produce torque. Because of the supplemental power due to the permanent magnet flux,
the input power needed is substantially less than the power required by a conventional motor for each pound of
torque generated. Thus, the PPMT motor is much more efficient. PPMT motors have exceptional performance in
continuous duty applications. Compared to a conventional motor’s continuous duty rating, a PPMT motor will be
lighter, smaller, and higher efficiency than any conventional design.

Seems like we need some clarification on what efficiency means, e.g., how can a motor be up to 3x more efficient than a motor that is already considered 80% efficient. Can anyone help?

I guess it could be 3X less inefficient. . . Like, if you had a 85% efficient motor and then made it 95% efficient, that would be only 1/3 as much energy wasted.

OK, I'll admit that's really a stretch.

Well not really think about it. When talking efficiency you can't get better than %100. That would be perpetual motion, breaking some fundamental laws of physics/thermodynamics. Electric induction motors have standard efficiency levels: 'General', 'Premium Efficient'. I do not know how they qualify these but they are there. There are more tiers above 'Premium Efficient'. I wouldn't make a statement like that but they may be using some industry standard tiering where the motor is 3 times more efficient that a 'premium efficient' motor is over a 'general purpose' motor.

I've been thinking about this for a while. That's definitely a stretch.

The PPMT motor uses a permanent magnet, but the Tesla Motor does not. My understanding is that permanent magnets generally require rare earth elements, and that doesn't earn very many "green" points.

The PPMT motor may be 3x more efficient than some electric motors, but that doesn't mean it's 3x more efficient than Tesla Motors' technology. In fact, the PPMT marketing may have picked one of the least efficient electric motors as a benchmark, possibly justifying it because of popularity or cost.

Also, the PPMT seems best for continuous duty, but an electric car is always stopping and starting, especially in city traffic. I think that the PPMT technology might actually be a negative for a car.

Last edited: