Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot freaks out with wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my MX in to replace the driveshafts a few weeks back to fix the vibration on acceleration issue and asked them to replace the wipers. After a long trip down to the alps I noticed that the car would freak out when on autopilot and spraying the windows with wiper fluid.

This happened so many times that it would lock out the autopilot until I stopped. It is completely reproducible by setting the car on autopilot and then spraying the windows for 2-3 seconds. I have never noticed this before and wonder if it is something to do with the new wipers? Furthermore I noticed that there was a very slight steering wheel movement whenever the wiper would pass the front camera.

Anyone else had this happen?

Lots of discussion on out this on these forums. With autopilot engaged now you cannot turn the wipers off. Because the wipers perform so desperately poorly you are stuck with this absurd situation. I’ve had my wiper going crazy with clear skies above and dark clouds 100 miles away.

I think this is because the car relies purely on vision for navigation now as the wipers were never forced on before and billions of miles had been driven with no issue.

And yes, the system is so thick when you wash-wipe your screen it thinks it’s raining and the wipers continue for several minutes at times.

It's not that I'm stuck with the wipers on (I know they suck), it is that if I wash the windows whilst in autopilot, the car will swerve and try to make a correction to the direction of travel as if the car has drifted over a line or about to impact another vehicle. It's pretty dangerous - I'll take a video when I'm next out and post it.

It's not that I'm stuck with the wipers on (I know they suck), it is that if I wash the windows whilst in autopilot, the car will swerve and try to make a correction to the direction of travel as if the car has drifted over a line or about to impact another vehicle. It's pretty dangerous - I'll take a video when I'm next out and post it.
That’s a new one for me….
probably worth reporting as a service request, especially if it’s reproducible.
I have no words.