Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver headlight / window wiper issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Issue began with driver headlight going out. Seemed to have condensation inside. Our window wipers also do not work, as in you hit the button and nothing happens. We could shoot out wiper fluid but not wipe the windows. Reading through forums I found that if driver headlight is out then wipers will not work, stated from Tesla tech.

Bought a headlight off eBay, saw others do the same with success. New headlight had some light scratches on the bottom but not visible once installed.

Got the new headlight installed, no issues with installation. Put everything back together and now we have new issues. Headlight works, all the time. Unless car is powered off, the headlight will remain powered on, even if the passenger side light turns off. Car looks weird having one light on when it’s parked but again it does turn off when you power down.

The driver blinker still does not work, this is now our main issue. The headlight is working properly but the blinker and “brights” do not work. Everything works properly on the passenger side of the car.

Our wipers have also been restored. So the car is somewhat recognizing the new headlight, as our wipers work now, but the blinker and brights do not work as well as the upper portion of the light is not on. I would call this the parking lights?

What do you guys suggest we do next. Car is drivable but we don’t have left blinker, also headlight is somewhat bugging as mentioned above. Maybe the headlight we got is also failing? Maybe the wiring harness is damaged but giving some signal for the lights and wiper to work? Just trying to exhaust all options before going to Tesla and seeing that $3000 estimate.

Tldr: no wipers or headlight, replaced headlight, headlight is on, wipers work now but parking light, brights and blinker do not work

Issue began with driver headlight going out. Seemed to have condensation inside. Our window wipers also do not work, as in you hit the button and nothing happens. We could shoot out wiper fluid but not wipe the windows. Reading through forums I found that if driver headlight is out then wipers will not work, stated from Tesla tech.

Bought a headlight off eBay, saw others do the same with success. New headlight had some light scratches on the bottom but not visible once installed.

Got the new headlight installed, no issues with installation. Put everything back together and now we have new issues. Headlight works, all the time. Unless car is powered off, the headlight will remain powered on, even if the passenger side light turns off. Car looks weird having one light on when it’s parked but again it does turn off when you power down.

The driver blinker still does not work, this is now our main issue. The headlight is working properly but the blinker and “brights” do not work. Everything works properly on the passenger side of the car.

Our wipers have also been restored. So the car is somewhat recognizing the new headlight, as our wipers work now, but the blinker and brights do not work as well as the upper portion of the light is not on. I would call this the parking lights?

What do you guys suggest we do next. Car is drivable but we don’t have left blinker, also headlight is somewhat bugging as mentioned above. Maybe the headlight we got is also failing? Maybe the wiring harness is damaged but giving some signal for the lights and wiper to work? Just trying to exhaust all options before going to Tesla and seeing that $3000 estimate.

Tldr: no wipers or headlight, replaced headlight, headlight is on, wipers work now but parking light, brights and blinker do not work
I've had the driver side headlights go out and replaced before. The quote is not $3000, more like $1200 but still expensive. You can't just buy parts and plug it in and have it work unfortunately. The service tech had to pair the part with the car. Service mode might work but I have not tried that.

I had the same happening to my 2020 Model 3.
Driver side headlight stopped working and added allot of noise on the internal network that resulted in:
Wipers not working
Low voltage battery not charging
High voltage battery aborting charging every few seconds

All issues were solved after replacing the headlight on warranty.

I've had the driver side headlights go out and replaced before. The quote is not $3000, more like $1200 but still expensive. You can't just buy parts and plug it in and have it work unfortunately. The service tech had to pair the part with the car. Service mode might work but I have not tried that.
you could buy used parts, and do software module reinstall, seems the full reinstall donot work for some reason.