Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Driver Assist Options Stop Working, @verygreen wrote this concerning AP and other missing driver assist features:
When you see symptoms like this - it means your autopilot computer crashed 3 times in a row and enters the failsafe mode.

To reset it, park in a safe place and execute "car poweroff" procedure for 2 minutes (i.e. let the car stay powered off for 2 minutes), that would restart the autopilot computer and hopefully clears the problem. Leaving the car parked with nobody inside would have the same effect, only slower.

Anyone report having this issue on a bright sunny day?
It seems that many of us are reporting the problem when driving in the rain.
I had it for nearly a hundred miles, in steady rain and mostly darkness.
I parked for almost an hour and drove a short distance and the problem was gone, but, so was the rain.
I just drove again (only on side roads) in the rain and the wipers wouldn't auto-wipe.
I'm thinking that poor visibility has something to do with it...

In Driver Assist Options Stop Working, @verygreen wrote this concerning AP and other missing driver assist features:

To reset it, park in a safe place and execute "car poweroff" procedure for 2 minutes (i.e. let the car stay powered off for 2 minutes), that would restart the autopilot computer and hopefully clears the problem. Leaving the car parked with nobody inside would have the same effect, only slower.
So, just parked all day should do it. Will report on GF's experience tonight. :D

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Anyone report having this issue on a bright sunny day?
It seems that many of us are reporting the problem when driving in the rain.
I had it for nearly a hundred miles, in steady rain and mostly darkness.
I parked for almost an hour and drove a short distance and the problem was gone, but, so was the rain.
I just drove again (only on side roads) in the rain and the wipers wouldn't auto-wipe.
I'm thinking that poor visibility has something to do with it...
I *really* don't think visibility has anything to do with it except the whole eastern part of the USA has rain today....

Reactions: JohnnyG
Before my commute home I did both MCU & ICU reboots and powered off the car for 5 minutes before leaving the office. Nothing available whatsoever and a beautiful sunny afternoon. I parked in my garage plugged in and on WiFi for about 25 minutes before taking my daughter to piano practice and low-and-behold everything is working again. The above post re: verygreen was not the issue happening today and no # of reboots or powering down would fix it. Something entirely different going on today.....

Got back home after 200mls round trip in the rain. Everything was back to normal 2 hrs later with Wifi in the garage (previously was parked outside at a destination charger for 3 hrs before my 100mls return leg) when I went to pick up my kids at school. By the time I left to my daughter's school, without turning car off, all gone agin, WTF???

Last month I had problem with my AP1 going out and cruise not available. It would work some days, not others. Ended up being my seat belt buckle was not registering. It would buckle fine and the car seemed to think it was buckled (no alert saying otherwise). But I could not use AP or cruise. Service center replaced buckle, no problems with AP or cruise since replacement.

Update: got a report that our 3’s AP was working after sitting all day. No reset/reboot done. No clue, lol. Friggin’ insane.

So, either:

The reset from verygreen did work (time-out)
Or it was just mothership issues.

Or perhaps you need both: mothership needed to fix something and you need to ‘reset’ so you get a new connection?

(All this is just from decades of IT f’ing around. :D)

Reactions: cmalinowski
This sounds like it could be some issue with mothership cloud served data crashing the AP computer. Most people don't realize that self-driving cars don't drive like humans do, they rely heavily on high resolution, up to date, mapping data. I have no first hand information how Tesla does it, but they have in the past touted their high resolution mapping data. I bet the AP computer either downloads the mapping data as needed, or at least gets mapping updates separately from firmware updates owners see. So, if there was something corrupted in the high res mapping update that caused AP computer to crash when attempting to load it, that would explain everything that has been reported. Again, just a theory, but matches all the symptoms.

Since it is happening unrelated to the update, it must be data related, such as when Supercharger status started showing up one day, weeks after the previous release. Maybe the data was corrupted for some and caused issues until the reset and fresh data is downloaded?

Whitex beat me to it by seconds.

Reactions: boaterva
Whatever mothership issue caused this seems to have been resolved as far as my car goes. I drove back home this evening and AP was working again (tracking vehicles, lanes, pedestrians, TACC).

Still very scary that a server issue can disable crucial (taken for granted) safety features like emergency braking or forward collision warning.

I went strait to the service center when it happened to me this morning. They just called and said they did a remote diagnostic and will need to replace the AP computer. I don't buy it. Way to many people are having this problem.
I've learned you can't trust anything they say... always validate it on here.
Example:
I called customer service and waited an hour last night on two separate occasions...
1. To get the navigate on autopilot pushed to my loaner (this is the whole reason why I'm doing the extended drive) and the tech told me when he handed me the key fob there was an update ready and I could install it when I got home. I got in the car, drove off.... and realized... no yellow clock... lemme call Tesla. I waited an hour to get a no, we can't push it when I've seen folks on here say they have in rare cases gotten them to push a specific firmware when they were having a severe issue.
2. When I get home with the P100D loaner and try to charge it, I find it was tripping my breaker... So I call Customer support AGAIN and wait (SERIOUSLY) another HOUR to go through the troubleshooting in that thread and got a whole bunch of "we have no idea what the problem is..." Of course I come to TMC.com and find the likely culprit almost instantly.

It's like I've forgotten what 5yrs of ownership was like...o_Oo_O Summed up in these two items above that happened last night.