Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Issues - Anyone else seeing these?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Been a lurker here for a bit, patiently awaiting for my M3P+

Finally got, and ofc I love it. I've noticed a couple of potential problems, with AP and wonder if anyone else has seen the same thing.

1. AP tried to swerve out of the way of nothing, I corrected it's course, and nothing bad happened.
  2. I notice that it thinks cones are in places where there clearly aren't any, multiple cones too.
  3. It doesn't always notice all cars. Sometimes a car is missing on the visualisation.
Thanks for any advice.

I'm going todo some more testing tomorrow, and phone tesla, but just figured i'd ask here.

I don't know to check if I have HW3 either, so going to ask that Q.

Cheers
Huddy

Hi

Finally got, and ofc I love it. I've noticed a couple of potential problems, with AP and wonder if anyone else has seen the same thing.

1. AP tried to swerve out of the way of nothing, I corrected it's course, and nothing bad happened.
  2. I notice that it thinks cones are in places where there clearly aren't any, multiple cones too.
  3. It doesn't always notice all cars. Sometimes a car is missing on the visualisation.
Thanks for any advice.

I'm going todo some more testing tomorrow, and phone tesla, but just figured i'd ask here.

Cheers
Huddy
Yes I’ve noticed all of what you have said ... I have put No3 down to the car not having a clear view due to another car in the way etc
AP was great on the motorway and more or less navigated the spaghetti junction very well (getting on south bound) AP on A roads isn’t great though, loads of phantom breaking

Hi

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers
Huddy
Btw , might be a silly question, but I have a Model 3 Performance with FSD ... you refer to yours as a M3P+ ... what does the + mean ?

1. Sometimes autopilot swerves based on lane lines. If there's an interruption in the lines, it either tries to follow the car ahead or adjust to the lines further up. Otherwise the cameras or radar may have picked up something by accident (sometimes, when driving on the highway the car slows down for seemingly no reason with nothing in front of it).
2. I have noticed some cases where it shows a cone where there isn't any, but it has been pretty accurate for me.
3. Something to keep in mind is that the visualization is noticeably worse when your vehicle is stopped. It's often very glitchy and can't seem to position all cars properly. But when the car is moving, it's much more accurate and should pick up almost all cars. There might be some slip ups here and there though, especially in the blind spot or behind it.

You'll get more used to all the details the more you use autopilot. Congrats on the new car!

Hi

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers
Huddy

Also, I’m still learning all these new acronyms... what’s HW3 ? Hardware 3 ?

Posting the videos would be interesting. What version of AP do you have?

No idea on AP version, do you know how I would find out? Are you referring to the AP Hardware? if so I don't know if it's HW 2 or HW 3.

Here's a link to the swerve, I actually wonder if it's it was following the arrows right?. There's also a can or something you'll see from the left camera, could be that??

Sorry for bad editing:

1. Sometimes autopilot swerves based on lane lines. If there's an interruption in the lines, it either tries to follow the car ahead or adjust to the lines further up. Otherwise the cameras or radar may have picked up something by accident (sometimes, when driving on the highway the car slows down for seemingly no reason with nothing in front of it).
2. I have noticed some cases where it shows a cone where there isn't any, but it has been pretty accurate for me.
3. Something to keep in mind is that the visualization is noticeably worse when your vehicle is stopped. It's often very glitchy and can't seem to position all cars properly. But when the car is moving, it's much more accurate and should pick up almost all cars. There might be some slip ups here and there though, especially in the blind spot or behind it.

You'll get more used to all the details the more you use autopilot. Congrats on the new car!

Yeah these all seem like sensible explanations, aslong as it's part of the ongoing improvements, then I'm not worried, I just want to ensure there's no H/W problems essentially!

Btw , might be a silly question, but I have a Model 3 Performance with FSD ... you refer to yours as a M3P+ ... what does the + mean ?

Honestly? I'm not entirely sure, my assumption is that before the current M3 Performance package, the tyres and breaks were optional addons, and so the + refers to the tyres/breaks etc. :p

No idea on AP version, do you know how I would find out? Are you referring to the AP Hardware? if so I don't know if it's HW 2 or HW 3.

Here's a link to the swerve, I actually wonder if it's it was following the arrows right?. There's also a can or something you'll see from the left camera, could be that??

Sorry for bad editing:
Very clear here that autopilot swerved because it locked onto the outer lane line (on the right) and tried to centre itself into the "larger" lane that it perceived.

Yeah these all seem like sensible explanations, aslong as it's part of the ongoing improvements, then I'm not worried, I just want to ensure there's no H/W problems essentially!
The way you've described it, doesn't seem like there are any issues with your hardware. That's just normal autopilot behaviour. Also like I said above, to answer your question, you have HW3 since all Tesla vehicles made since mid-april 2019 have it.

Very clear here that autopilot swerved because it locked onto the outer lane line (on the right) and tried to centre itself into the "larger" lane that it perceived.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I agree with that, although the lane it tried to center with was smaller, and had big arrows to help AP understand which decision to make.

My understanding is that by cancelling AP by way of the steering wheel in that manor should have sent information back to tesla anyway to review.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I agree with that, although the lane it tried to center with was smaller, and had big arrows to help AP understand which decision to make.

My understanding is that by cancelling AP by way of the steering wheel in that manor should have sent information back to tesla anyway to review.
Unfortunately autopilot doesn't actually understand how to read arrows. It just follows lines. And yes, your intervention does get sent to Tesla to help train the software.

Sorry for bad editing:

my M3P did this tonight a number to times also, after updating to 2019.40.2.1 last night. Plus I’ve had blocked or blinded cameras a lot today... although it’s been pretty wet and foggy out there

It looks more like it took the right-hand lines of the turning lane as the right-hand edge of a much wider lane, along with the existing verge on the left - rather than trying to only use the turning lane.