Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot - significant improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
24526A4F-FB25-4CFD-B5C2-B569390F40C1.jpeg

I just returned from a ~550 mile trip to Disneyland with the family, and decided that I would give autopilot another go.

For a long time I refused (well my wife did), to use AP with the family on board because of the constant aggressive phantom braking and just indecisive manoeuvres, without having a workaround. I barely used it when it was just me as it wasn’t adding value to my journeys.

I thought that it would be good to see where things may have improved or degraded after little to no use with family distractions, and I have to say, for me there has been a significant improvement in the way it operates as a whole. It seemed I experienced all 4 seasons and went on a variety of roads and motorways in England and France. Not a single phantom braking event or random disengagement, and it was used for virtually the whole trip. I wonder if there have been improvements in the AP stack and if anyone else on 2020.8.2 have had much better experiences with AP? Or was I just on a lucky streak?

I've only had my car for a month (1200 miles), so no previous comparative experiences, but I've not had any problems like phantom braking or unexpected behaviour while using AP on dual carriageways/motorways. Even while driving next to curtain walled lorries, which seem to be the bane of some drivers' lives.

Currently on 2022.8.2, but went through a few 2022.4.5.x versions in the first couple of weeks too.

Reactions: M3noob
I do find auto pilot works OK - Its a fun thing to engage and the car has always behaved itself most of the time, but haven't been on a motorway for some months until last week. I have the car set to "speed Limit" rather than current speed and mad max. I found the car recommending a lane change to overtake a slower vehicle in front just a bit optimistic considering how close cars were in the lane i was to change to. The lane would turn blue and the car was waiting for my indicator to confirm the change of lane - a check in the mirror suggested to me the cars in that lane were a bit too close to make the move and would probably cause them to slow down as my car doesn't accelerate with any gusto on AP - so i waited until there was a decent gap before engaging the indicator.
The lane changes were all good and no phantom braking - I was impressed though at my exit - the car had already moved back into the first lane and as the junction came close the car automatically indicated and took me off the motorway. The indication to exit was far later than i would drive though - I tend to indicate as I pass the first exit marker board - the car did it after the last marker board.

Now it may be because I'm old but my style of driving since i retired is a lot more sedate than it used to be, probably because I'm never in a rush or driving to a timeline - and to be honest I know my reactions are not as sharp as they used to be so i tend to relax a lot more nowadays, indeed I tend to have the car on TACC, set at speed limit, the car to follow at 6 car lengths and sit (usually) behind a truck in the first lane - only going for an overtake if the truck drops much below 60 - its the most relaxing drive in the world.
The only comment i really have regarding full self drive AP is that it drives a bit like a learner, not dangerous but makes some rather immature decisions or road positioning and makes me look like a silly old bugger - and I take pride in the way i drive. Great concept and seems to be improving as time goes by but i doubt the car will ever achieve FSD with real competence, but i quite like what i have and not disappointed.