Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot struggling to see adjacent lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have enhanced autopilot on my Model Y and have a really annoying issue. Regular autopilot is affected as well. Basically, autopilot is struggling to see the adjacent lane on the interstate (seems much worse for the adjacent LEFT lane). Looking at the display, the lane markings are constantly cutting in and out. Frequently lane markings disappear as the car is changing lanes, which causes the car the violently turn back into the original lane. This happens if the cameras are clean, the weather is clear, and the lanes are well marked.

Oddly, I have a buddy with the exact same issue on his Model 3. I can't seem to find any other complaints about this online though. A Tesla technician came by the other day for a separate issue and hadn't heard of this problem before. Any ideas?

I have the exact same problem. I have only noticed it on the left side. Sometimes it won’t even initiate the lane change - other times it aborts mid lane change. I have a model y and used to have model 3. It is so prevalent that I almost never use it to change lanes now. I assumed it was a software glitch.

I have the exact same problem. I have only noticed it on the left side. Sometimes it won’t even initiate the lane change - other times it aborts mid lane change. I have a model y and used to have model 3. It is so prevalent that I almost never use it to change lanes now. I assumed it was a software glitch.

Update - mobile service call Friday am - I’ll let you know what (if anything) they find.

So I have enhanced autopilot on my Model Y and have a really annoying issue. Regular autopilot is affected as well. Basically, autopilot is struggling to see the adjacent lane on the interstate (seems much worse for the adjacent LEFT lane). Looking at the display, the lane markings are constantly cutting in and out. Frequently lane markings disappear as the car is changing lanes, which causes the car the violently turn back into the original lane. This happens if the cameras are clean, the weather is clear, and the lanes are well marked.

Oddly, I have a buddy with the exact same issue on his Model 3. I can't seem to find any other complaints about this online though. A Tesla technician came by the other day for a separate issue and hadn't heard of this problem before. Any ideas?

When this scenario occurs, you might want to report it as an Autopilot i.e. Voice command - Bug Report Autopilot and a brief summary of your issue. Data will be uploaded to Tesla including the Teslacam feed for analysis

Update - mobile service call Friday am - I’ll let you know what (if anything) they find.
Ok - mobile service examined the issue remotely. They looked at the logs and noted that they could see the failed lane changes. They also said that they have been seeing other reports of similar issues with left lane changes in particular. The hardware was working so it must be a minor change in the software settings that is causing the issue. There was nothing that they could do other than to tell me to wait for a future update to resolve the issue. That is what I expected. It hopefully will get resolved in a bug fix. Service response was good and they spent a fair amount of time tracking it down to specific routes and times in the car. Amazing amount of data they had at their disposal from my car.

Reactions: lonnielevi
Honestly, that’s exactly what I thought they’d say as well. I’m just waiting for the FSD Beta or Autopilot rewrite, and if that doesn’t fix the issue, then we may have a bigger problem on our hands. Our Model X seems to abort lane changes way too often (and it’s always when my wife is in the car).

I'm not sure how posting teslacam would help (doesn't that just show the feed from the video cameras?). That will just show a highway with well-marked lane lines. Weirdly, I went on a nearly 7 hour drive a few weeks ago, and it happened maybe once. Then I'll go on an hour long trip to work, and it happens throughout the trip. There really seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I feel like it actually happens less frequently at night. It definitely happens more frequently going left, although it does happen sometimes going right. Hopefully it's just a software issue. I swear enhanced autopilot worked perfectly the first week I had it, then this started happening.

Nearly 30 thousand miles later, and I have finally figured out what is tripping up autopilot. It is TREES. If trees are close to the side of the road, autopilot will not see the adjacent lane. The reason why it has far less trouble seeing the adjacent RIGHT lane is because there is usually a shoulder on the right side of the road, so the trees aren't as close to the lane. A hill close to the side of the road seems to have the same effect.

I assume that this is a software issue. Seems like a pretty silly limitation to me. Weird that I haven't seen this reported more.

IMG_4429.jpeg