Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autowipers don't suck anymore?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Richbot

Oct 16, 2020
STL
11/2020 build Long Range Plus - 2023.20.7 - Do autowipers suck less than they used to for anyone else? I had switched it on sometime after a recent update, but hadn't done much rain driving, I was doing some rain driving today and didn't even realize I had autowipers on until they went intermittent on their own when it stopped. Which is the highest complement I can give - just friggin wipe the windscreen when it's wet, and stop when it's not. Previously, they would never do either of those things.

Tesla did a thing? Maybe? Anybody else notice this?

11/2020 build Long Range Plus - 2023.20.7 - Do autowipers suck less than they used to for anyone else? I had switched it on sometime after a recent update, but hadn't done much rain driving, I was doing some rain driving today and didn't even realize I had autowipers on until they went intermittent on their own when it stopped. Which is the highest complement I can give - just friggin wipe the windscreen when it's wet, and stop when it's not. Previously, they would never do either of those things.

Wipers have always been a subjective thing. My Model 3 and Model Ys have always worked relatively well. About the only issue is if the area in front of the camera is dirty, they will run.

I have a February 2022 build Model X (running FSD beta software), and its autowipers have never sucked. Certainly not as bad as I've seen people complaining on the forums, FB, etc. About the only complaint I might have is that it sometimes (but not always) runs the wipers at high speed with only light rain on the windshield. (And we actually did get rain this past winter in California.)

Bruce.

I have a February 2022 build Model X (running FSD beta software), and its autowipers have never sucked. Certainly not as bad as I've seen people complaining on the forums, FB, etc. About the only complaint I might have is that it sometimes (but not always) runs the wipers at high speed with only light rain on the windshield. (And we actually did get rain this past winter in California.)

Bruce.
Agree, I didn't state it previously, but I never think about wipers any more

I have 2018 MX. The auto wipers were horrible for use here in Southern Oregon for 4 years. But now they just work. No hassle. I watched a great video by one of the Tesla AI engineers explaining why it was such a difficult AI problem. Great explanation. Now if they could just get the awful FSD to work...

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
I have 2018 MX. The auto wipers were horrible for use here in Southern Oregon for 4 years. But now they just work. No hassle. I watched a great video by one of the Tesla AI engineers explaining why it was such a difficult AI problem. Great explanation. Now if they could just get the awful FSD to work...
I wonder if it must just be an update effecting the Legacy cars. It's been universally awful in every legacy s/x I've tried...and now it's just not. Love it when a "bug fix" includes literally fixing a broken feature and saying nothing about it in the release notes, wtf tesla take the W lol

Reactions: scottf200
I wonder if it must just be an update effecting the Legacy cars. It's been universally awful in every legacy s/x I've tried...and now it's just not. Love it when a "bug fix" includes literally fixing a broken feature and saying nothing about it in the release notes, wtf tesla take the W lol
Software definitely makes a difference.

But in 5 years in my Model 3, while it changed, they have worked fine for me.

It's one of those things that different people have different desires.

No, this isn't just a personal preference, I've used the Model 3 system, it worked much better than on any legacy X/S I've tried. I'd still rate it higher than what my car is doing now, but it's much better than it was, it went from useless to usable on my X