Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 windshield wipers keep tripping breaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nosecone 2016 90D

The wiper motor / mechanism was replaced under warranty when it turned on while frozen to the windscreen, several years ago.

In the past 6 months the wipers will periodically just stop working, typically in the rain when they're doing their wiper thing and actually pretty important. Pulling over and powering off the car will "fix" the problem. I took it in to the shop and made sure to trip the breaker and show the tech "see -- they're dead". They replaced the wiper control module (originally they wanted to replace the body control module instead).

Long story short -- they still "break" periodically but now will fail right when the car starts if they wipers were running when the car put in park and turned off.

Is anyone else seeing this kind of nonsense?

HI there I have similar issue with my face lift 2016 75D- few weeks back while raining noticed wipers 'lift up' slightly just after they've reached their resting position under bonnet- so they wipe up then go down, stop for a split second and then lift up ever so slightly. I thought this is strange but then half an hour later it was still raining and I was still driving wipers started intermittently refuse to work- no matter what position on stalk I choose. One minute only fast manual mode would work and then when I turn one click down on a stalk they would slow down but if I leave them on auto modes they would not work at all. Side chrome button would also work once in 10 times when pressed. Few days passed and the wipers stopped working alongside rear position lights and car would show flat tire warning and there would be no tire pressure info available when selected on screen.
Raised this issue with Tesla the took the car in and they diagnosed blown 30A fuse so replaced that but confirmed that wiper module needs replacing as wipers are not 100% operational- exactly like first day minus the blown fuse. Tire pressure monitor system started working and rear lights too.
I've sourced and replaced wiper motor assembly and it didn't help at all and on the way back from a supercharger today while raining the fuse blew (I suspect) as flat tire warning came up and rear lights stopped working (indicators/ fog light/ brake lights/ reverse light still works).
Not exactly same problem as yours but perhaps other people will be reading this and comment too- the wipers on these cars seams to be controlled by none the less but full moon!!!

I can’t help you with the issue you are having but have read here recently that Tesla had issued new update and that have drastically change the wipers functions on Model S car’s. Have a look here:

I took it to them, they replaced a module.

The wipers failed again, but they failed less frequently.

I took it back and they found a ground stud was insufficiently groundy and replaced that stud and the body control module. They did not bill me for the 2nd visit.

We'll see if this fix is the fix.

Model S windshield water runoff dumps water all over the electronics near the traditional firewall area just below the windshield. Wiper motor connector is just below the plastic cowl and every one I've ever seen has muddy water marks on the connector. Perhaps disconnect this connector and inspect the contacts.

Here is an actual pic of this connect on my car

Often, just the act of dis/reconnecting corroded connectors will scrape fresh metal contacts and work again. But best to clean it all up. Spray some electronics cleaner and maybe protect this connector with something. Water runoff will continue to dump below on various electronics and HV battery pack.

I suppose the motor is another potential source of issue. Haven't looked at its water protection construction.

Did a full study of the windshield water run off after my DCDC1 connector corrosion disabled the car. Now I don't drive in rain anymore nor wash windshield with spray water during car wash haha... Maybe extreme but just a matter of time before the water kills something in that area.

Anyway, just a guess what this problem might be based on prior inspection of this area. Haven't seen any TSBs so I'm guessing SC likely won't do anything about this as they don't really deviate from HQ directions. So maybe try testing this connector for shorts/resistance and/or cleaning through DIY or independent mechanic.

Last edited: