Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD in time for tax credit?

Do you think AWD will be delivered before the full tax credit runs out?

• Yes

Votes: 46 86.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I configured on 4/18 and then received the "delayed until June" email this weekend. I am now trying to decide if I want to change to the AWD model, but I do not want to risk losing the full tax credit...

Can all the people who are much smarter than I on this platform please let me know the likelihood on this?

Thank you.

The tax credit starts to go down two quarters after the quarter they register the 200k car. Most people think the full credit will be in effect until the end of the year. So hopefully you can get the Awd version delivered in the next 7 months.

• Disagree
Reactions: mongo
A lot depends on if Tesla sells that 200k car in June or not. Even the smartest amongst us can only speculate on that... If you choose to change to AWD you may get bumped back in the queue as there seems to be staggered configuration going on for that option.

The tax credit starts to go down two quarters after the quarter they register the 200k car. Most people think the full credit will be in effect until the end of the year. So hopefully you can get the Awd version delivered in the next 7 months.
I believe that the full credit applies to the quarter that the 200k car is sold, plus one more, then 2Q for 50%, then 2Q for 25%. So Q4 2018 depends on June vs. July...

Reactions: mongo
This has been discussed ad infinitum... the closer we get to June 30 and no announcement is made, the more certain it looks like what many of us predicted (with the move of deliveries to Canada) that Tesla is steering (no pun intended..) things for the 200K car to be in July. This will mean that all the rest of 2018 will get the full USA tax credit, and Q1 and 2 of 2019, the 50% and Q3 and 4, the 25%.

If they didn't care about pushing the 200K milestone in the USA to Q3, there would be no reason for a special push of cars to Canada.

I just talked to a Tesla sales rep about changing and they said they will let us change, but they are forecasting at least 9 month before the AWD model will be available for those of us changing now...
Really? Wow... will they refund $2.5k meanwhile?

Also, 9mo doesn't make sense, I got no invite and end of 2018 estimate for AWD, that's ~6mo and you're ahead of me...is their delivery estimate incorrect?

Btw, just saw this thread Changes to invite priority, now only effected by date/time of reservation
It says "up to 9", not "at least 9", seems different sales reps contradict each other...so could be a lot sooner than 9.

Last edited:
Spoke w Tesla who advised my RWD config can be converted to AWD wo penalty. Delivery ETA would be 4 months taking me to September. . She also mentioned her info is fluid and additional delays could push further. Lastly she advised I can convert just before delivery.

Thus I’ve kept my order and will sit on it and will wait For any additional info on production actuals and delays over the next month to help w my decision.

While I’m not in a hurry, I also don’t want to give up part of the tax credit which I’m betting will reduce after Q4 or potentially be killed by Congress for 2019 deliveries

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele