Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AXA Crash Test Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One source states that in the US the ICE cars have 55 fires per Bn miles, EVs 5 per Bn.
That AXA film is an absolute disgrace and the "apology" is weasel-words dreamt up by a PR/legal department. If I were Tesla I would sue for billions.

They also said this:

What the statistics also show is that drivers of more powerful electric vehicles cause damage to either their own or someone else’s vehicle more frequently.

So, it’s all you P owners putting our premiums up! 😋
Again the devil is in the detail. Is this more frequently than other EV drivers or all drivers? What about drivers of more powerful ICE cars etc. I'd imagine that drivers of more powerful vehicles cause more damage generally, regardless of how they are powered.

Note I don't know what the truth is, just these statements from AXA seem to be grasping at straws.

I’m trying to understand what means as it doesn’t compute to me. In the event of an accident, are they saying EV owners are 50% more likely to be the cause as presumably if they’re responsible for the damage to their own car, they’d also be responsible for the damage to whatever they hit, or at least it be 50/50? Surely that also means they’re in more accidents unless for some reason they’re in fewer accidents overall, but when they do it’s usually their fault? How do you significantly reduce the number of accidents you’re in caused by others, I can’t believe EV owners are expert defensive drivers but crash a lot at their own fault? Just trying to understand how to interpret the figures.
All we can gather is that in the event of an accident an EV driver is 50% more likely to be the cause of damage to their own car based on AXAs numbers.

We don't know if they have more accidents, we don't know if they are less or more likely to damage other vehicles (why did AXA only call out their own car?). How many EV cars do AXA cover? There is just so much we don't know, but there statement does in no way suggest there are more accidents.

I think insurers see more claims for EVs than other cars because EVs tend to be on the expensive to repair front as well as the entire EV fleet will be pretty young. There are a huge number of ICE vehicles across all price ranges, and if you have a prang with an older car you can get it fixed in a local garage for cheaper than the insurance premiums will rise by.

Better measure would EV vs ICE claims grouped by car age or value. But EV repairs are still more expensive thanks to Tesla, so people are more likely to use their insurer :(