Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

B-pillar cameras fogging up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this pop up occasionally but it seems to go away. I have no idea why. I have a tech coming out next week to look at my squeeling brakes and I'll bring this up too.
In so many words I wanted to write in here because I find this to be an informative thread!

While I have a tech on my property next week, is there anything else that anyone wants me to ask him????

Just gather as much information about this problem (limited to a block of cars, etc.) and any potential fixes, like newly redesigned parts availability, etc. Would like to take mine in only when the redesign effort and new parts are complete and available. Thanks for being our pathfinder!

Reactions: CharleyBC
Just gather as much information about this problem (limited to a block of cars, etc.) and any potential fixes, like newly redesigned parts availability, etc. Would like to take mine in only when the redesign effort and new parts are complete and available. Thanks for being our pathfinder!
Yeah, I felt kind of uneasy about the wasteful nature of the "we're just going to replace these for now" since it's not necessarily an acute problem. But the tech almost pushed for it:
- "were there any alerts about one of the safety system being unavailable?"
- "yes, the blind spot monitoring one"
- "OK, I'm going to replace these parts now"

Yeah, I felt kind of uneasy about the wasteful nature of the "we're just going to replace these for now" since it's not necessarily an acute problem. But the tech almost pushed for it:
- "were there any alerts about one of the safety system being unavailable?"
- "yes, the blind spot monitoring one"
- "OK, I'm going to replace these parts now"
My service center did everything they could to avoid looking at it, citing certain amounts of condensation on the inside glass are considered "normal". I call BS on that.

Reactions: mswlogo
I had this happen for sure the other day, and I believe it has been happening pretty regularly on my passenger-side. Tuesday morning was super cold here, so it was worse than normal.

s8XDn0Jl.jpg

There seems to be some confusion in this thread about when the camera defrosters turn on, and that confusion may well be based in the behavior having changed over time with different software releases.

So here's my idea. In addition to whenever they might come on automatically (which sounds like could be improved), how about adding a button on the HVAC screen that simply turns on all the camera defrosters? Maybe it times out after X minutes to save energy. That would give us control when fogging of frosting is a problem.

There seems to be some confusion in this thread about when the camera defrosters turn on, and that confusion may well be based in the behavior having changed over time with different software releases.

So here's my idea. In addition to whenever they might come on automatically (which sounds like could be improved), how about adding a button on the HVAC screen that simply turns on all the camera defrosters? Maybe it times out after X minutes to save energy. That would give us control when fogging of frosting is a problem.

My mobile tech was adamant that b-pillar cameras do not have dedicated heaters. I even showed him a picture of a model 3 covered in snow with the cameras clearly thawed that's been posted a few times. He said that this happened because cameras generate some heat while running when sentry mode is enabled. I'm not convinced, but he is a generally knowledgeable tech who has been working for Tesla for close to 3 years now.

My mobile tech was adamant that b-pillar cameras do not have dedicated heaters. I even showed him a picture of a model 3 covered in snow with the cameras clearly thawed that's been posted a few times. He said that this happened because cameras generate some heat while running when sentry mode is enabled. I'm not convinced, but he is a generally knowledgeable tech who has been working for Tesla for close to 3 years now.

I’d believe that. The only cameras for sure are heated is the front. And even then at this stage it’s anyone’s guess if that heater even works anymore.

So if that's true, then I modify my idea slightly. The proposed new button for turning on the camera defroster does precisely that for the front cameras and merely turns on the B pillar cameras so they start generating heat. (PS: Are the B pillar cameras on during Sentry Mode? They are not among the recorded video feeds.)

So if that's true, then I modify my idea slightly. The proposed new button for turning on the camera defroster does precisely that for the front cameras and merely turns on the B pillar cameras so they start generating heat. (PS: Are the B pillar cameras on during Sentry Mode? They are not among the recorded video feeds.)

Those cameras are on anyway, at all times, as part of AutoPilot etc, so that won't help when driving, unfortunately, if they're not already generating enough heat to defog.

The tech came out yesterday. He replaced a cap on my calipers and the squealing of my brakes went away. It was only my driver side front brake. He said the dirt driveway that I'm on at work doesn't help with debris getting up in it though.
When do camera defrosters come on? I've never heard of that feature.
Regarding the B-Pillar cameras, he said there isn't a dedicated heater to it. I wish I had seen this thread yesterday before he arrived or I would have asked more questions.
He walked all around my car and showed me that I had very slight condensation in one of my rear lights. He said it was completely normal, but he has seen many examples of cars needing to have them replaced(especially the B-pillars).
My car looked fine, but he also said my car is a very recent build and thus far the build quality has been better. He said that since I got the car in September that I've experienced a 90+ degree day and a 20 degree day without condensation issues so my car has passed the tests on that aspect(but others won't be so lucky).
Being able to park in a garage at home overnight greatly helps the car to naturally dehumidify too.

Reactions: Boourns and jebinc
An update on this:
- Since I got my b-pillar cameras replaced on 11/7, the issue got A LOT worse. The newly installed b-pillar appliques reliably develop condensation over the cameras after 20-25 minutes of highway driving. I took a 400 mile road trip for Thanksgiving, and NoA, blind spot alert, and lane departure warning were not available for a good 90% of it, with error messages popping up dozens of times every hour.
- I then scheduled another appointment for the same issue. Today, I received a call from a Tesla tech who basically said there's nothing they can do until they have new parts available. They did mention they have a software update in the pipeline to reduce the sensitivity, but I think this will be of little help in my case as my cameras now get frozen solid at highway speeds in just-below-freezing weather. They also said they're "flagging my car for visibility" - as they explained, this means that alerts will now get stored in the logs so they can identify cars that are most in need of a new part once it is available.

So, the moral of the story is three-fold:
- Tesla is well aware of the issue and is trying to find a solution but does not have one yet
- An update is coming to reduce the sensitivity of the warning; this should serve as a partial solution to minimize the number of hardware retrofits required
- If you get replacement b-pillar appliques now, you're running the chance of making the issue worse than it was before the replacement

Last edited:
I've been waiting for mine to get fixed for months now, Tech says parts are on order, still no ETA since my last post. Frustrating to know it will have little impact. Anyone else starting to debate taking apart your car by yourself and adding a bit more sealant to close these up? Shouldn't be rocket science to seal off a lense. Thinking about doing it myself with my tail lights as well.

I've been waiting for mine to get fixed for months now, Tech says parts are on order, still no ETA since my last post. Frustrating to know it will have little impact. Anyone else starting to debate taking apart your car by yourself and adding a bit more sealant to close these up? Shouldn't be rocket science to seal off a lense. Thinking about doing it myself with my tail lights as well.
My guess would be that your tech is waiting for the updated part - just like mine is now. I don't think sealing the cameras would do it unless you can remove all moisture from the air that is trapped in the camera housing. The current design is vented into the cabin, so moisture will always condense on the cold surface of the glass that separates the warm camera housing from the cold outside world. I think solving this requires a new design that would create either passive or active airflow against the inner surface of the cover glass helping the condensation evaporate back into the surrounding air.

There’s no way to conclude that replacing the parts caused the issue to be worse. The issue will get better or worse depending on so many factors of weather behavior which may now be more of a factor than it was.

For me, the issue happened consistently until it got colder with less heat-feeling from the sun. In the 50s with hot sun causes the issue. Now we’re in the 40s and the sun doesn’t feel warm it’s not a problem.

Also I cannot understand what any replacement could possibly do to fix the issue, until Tesla puts in a heating system in each camera. The front cameras have a heating element over them, but nobody to my knowledge has found a way to make that work.