Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back axel broke ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 Model X long range and had an accident today. Not sure exactly what happened but I heard a loud noise and then car spun counterclockwise. I hit a pole. Rear right wheel and axle completely broke off. No one seriously injured. My question is - could the axle have broken spontaneously? Few months ago I change the wheels to aftermarket 20in wheels because my 22in tires were popping. Could the axle break because of the change in wheels?
Of note - 6 months ago my drivers side glass spontaneously broke while driving due to an inherent defect in the glass. If cracked from the inside of the car while driving, definitely no trauma to the glass.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I have a 2022 Model X long range and had an accident today. Not sure exactly what happened but I heard a loud noise and then car spun counterclockwise. I hit a pole. Rear right wheel and axle completely broke off. No one seriously injured. My question is - could the axle have broken spontaneously? Few months ago I change the wheels to aftermarket 20in wheels because my 22in tires were popping. Could the axle break because of the change in wheels?
Of note - 6 months ago my drivers side glass spontaneously broke while driving due to an inherent defect in the glass. If cracked from the inside of the car while driving, definitely no trauma to the glass.
Very sorry about your accident. Glad no one was seriously hurt. I've had a few over my lifetime.

So you did not have a USB drive installed to capture the Tesla dashcam? (ie. glove box in latest versions; and I thought they were delivered with a 'free' one installed).

you can request Tesla for vehicle data around the time accident took place. It will give you some idea on the sequence of events with time stamp. It is a large file so you need to keep the time range - start and end within a fairly narrow range to get a quick understanding of the data. Not sure if this will help, but the main cause seems be the rear axle breaking down which resulted in the car spinning. Not sure if the after market wheels had anything to do with it, or was there an installation and tire configuration problem after the wheel change.

Last edited:
you can request Tesla for vehicle data around the time accident took place. It will give you some idea on the sequence of events with time stamp. It is a large file so you need to keep the time range - start and end within a fairly narrow range to get a quick understanding of the data. Not sure if this will help, but the main cause seems be the rear axle breaking down which resulted in the car spinning. Not sure if the after market wheels had anything to do with it, or was there an installation and tire configuration problem after the wheel change.
Will do, thanks for the advice