TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Back to the Past at Fiat Chrysler

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by Curt Renz, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

#1 Curt Renz, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    Fiat Chrysler plans to invest $540 million to develop two new internal combustion engines (ICE) for its Alfa Romeo brand: Alfa Romeo Engines

2. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

Only 74,000 Alfa Romeos sold in 2013.

CEO Sergio Marchionne states that he would keep production of Alfas in Italy to fill under utilized plants, protect jobs and vindicate his belief that Italians know how to build great cars.

The car maker plans to invest 5 billion euros in Alfa to boost sales.

I like Italian cars, but good luck with this strategy.

3. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

And in other news, American Locomotive Company (ALCO) plans to invest $350 million in a new line of coal-fired steam railway locomotive engines, expected to reduce passenger complaints of soot-in-the-eye by 25%... :cool:

4. 1208

1208 Active Member

They and other car manufacturers of ICE who refuse to evolve to EVs remind me of British railway in the 50s and 60s who refused to evolve to electric trains from steam trains.

Shame, Alfa could really come up with a cool looking EV if they wanted.

They will go like various British car manufactures such as Leyand who were killed by better engineered Japanese cars.

5. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

6. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

It is a two way street - someone who believes in electric cars is unlikely to become a CEO of Fiat or BMW or any other ice car maker:wink:

7. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

Yes, as the owner of a Spider Quadrifoglio, nothing will ever replace the 'Alfa-song' of their unique exhaust systems, but the new models are extremely sexy and futuristic... I could see an electric version with performance specs like a Tesla getting some sales. It would interest me, once the Italians prove they know their way around an electric motor as well as they do a high-performance ICE... :cool:

I wonder how much money went into the development of one Tesla model. $540 million seems a bit spendy for engine improvements...

8. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Agree. Hope that things will change soon and that Marchionne will be replaced by somebody believing in electric cars.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

$540M/74k = $7.3k.

Not exactly a ridiculous amount of money.

10. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

What I find surprising is doubling down on something that does not seem to sell that well. Or maybe 74k is a good number.

Alfa.JPG

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Agreed. And, although I have no idea about these plans, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these engines or their derivatives make it into other FCA products.

Really? How many EVs do you think they could sell if they did that?

I do agree about the latter, though.

12. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Of course every new project starting from scratch like designing a new electric car is expansive and high risks are involved, but somebody has to start to change and innovate otherwise there is no development.

13. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

Tesla's strategy was to start at the high end of the luxury line of cars and work down to the affordable version for everyone. Make the car something people want, rather than a tiny utilitarian box people are resigned to driving. Alfa makes sexy cars. If they built those cars in electric, with an acceptable range and price, I don't know why they wouldn't sell. Alfa has never had a problem with creating beautiful metal sculptures!

14. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

I second this

15. Vger

Vger Active Member

As someone whose Dad bought an Alfa Romeo Giulia for the family in 1963 (delivered to Zurich and driven all over Italy for a year before returning to the U.S.), I would love to see the Alfa brand brought into the true 21st century.

I do take heart in Ferrari's resurgence in Formula 1 this year, which could only come when they stopped complaining about the new hybrid power trains and learned a thing or two about electric motors and batteries. Hopefully as cousins of Alfa, some high-performance EV osmosis will seep out of Maranello. I am not holding my breath, but I can dream. Forza! :wink:

16. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

+ 1 but please make an electric Alfa soon