Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back up sensors faulty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 MS is acting up I think. I tried auto park last night and it would not complete the task. For the last week or so since I came back from a 2k road trip, the reverse position has been acting a little funny. I notice that as soon as I go into reverse, the STOP is displayed under camera. Also the chimes go off, and seem to be excessive as I reverse to park or pull out. Are my sensors bad? Do they need replacing, recalibrating? The stop and chimes do not stay on all the time during reverse, but they do every time I back up, just intermittently. Any suggestions?

So just sit in the drivers seat, push down the break, and then hold down the two circle buttons on the steering wheel for 10-15 seconds (and then release break and button pressing). This will do a reboot. The display will go off, it will be black for about 45-60 seconds, and the the Tesla T logo will show, and it will come back online. This fixed my issues like this when it occurred. It’s happened twice in a little over 1 year.

Do you know how to get to service mode? It’s not the service tab on the screen menu but if activated, you will be able to see if the car have some error codes listed there. Knowing this will give better suggestion what to do…

Guys...I've just had a minor accident on the highway, which resulted one of side parking sensor "detached" from the bumber...its just handing down on a fire. As it seems there is also the "car colour" cover missing as there is some glue residue on it - surely the sensor also needs it cover to work?

The car reports "parking system not working". Is there a way to bypass this or perhaps just enable the front sensors to be used? Will removing the fuse help?

Guys...I've just had a minor accident on the highway, which resulted one of side parking sensor "detached" from the bumber...its just handing down on a fire.
Is it the one close to the wheel arc? You can remove the wheel liner and temporarily fix the position of the sensor to check if it works without that “colour cover”. I think mine are painted, but who knows? They have body control modules, involving more than one element so fuse removing might not help.

Its the one close to the wheel arc yes. This whole "cover" seems to be broken off:

1700201391892.png

It is connected to the harness, just not in the correct place (I would glue if it it would work), its just hanging there, but still "park assist unavailable". I will try and wiggle the wires and see if this helps :/

There is also missing the rubber cover that is inside the wheen arc, Whats the code of it?

Is this the correct one?

Did the minor accident happened to the front or rear sensor? That link to the cover is for front sensor at the wheel arch. At rear there is none. Here is a photo of mine (rear sensor) and it do shows it’s painted. I was confused by the thread title…

5BB28D08-25EE-4A42-8EDB-A3704F35BA1C.jpeg

Here is the sensor at front, it has the silicon collar attached.

353F4989-A371-454B-ACFA-F6FC05001FD7.jpeg

Reactions: LonelyMS
This is the correct one, yea! got quoted by tesla 80€ for it... I see there are cheaper on te aliexpress, but the deliverey time of 1 month...

Is the replacement pretty straightforward? Just attach a new one, or is there some "calibration" needed with the toolbox?

I would think there is no need for calibration. If you get it from Tesla then it’s quite straightforward. Can’t say that for mentioned source. It might also need some additional attention if the bracket is loose or broken. Mine are still original, haven't changed them yet.