Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backseat 2023 Model S longe range. Is it fit for 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to pull the trigger on buying the 2023 Long Range Model S.
I have 3 kids and I have noticed that the backseat middle seat has a very strange hump in the backrest.

Unfortunately did not sit in the backseat myself. Does anyone have an experience with this middle seat? Is this indeed
as bad as it looks?
I hate to have the kids moan and complain on a long trip on Holidays
And would the Model X five seater have a different setup?

Wow. Thanks both. Just as I feared….. why a car which costs 107,000 euro in the netherlands doesn’t have proper seats is a complete mystery to me.

So the Model X five seater has the same problem but not the 7 seater? Is ‘t the 7 seater the same back bench as the 5?

It's also very hard to get in and out of the back seat due to the shape of the door opening. Don't try putting any old and/or heavy people back there. And it's also bad for people with long legs because there is no foot well due to the battery, and the orientation of the rear seats and limited leg room means their knees will be in their chest and they will have zero thigh support.

The rear seat is still their 2012 design, and it wasn't a good one.

Upvote 0
We has this exact issue when considering a new S. In the end we also tried out the MYPerf 5 seater and voila..the best option for us. MX we’ve had a 6 seater in the past and it had less practical space than we thought.

Kids are 5’11 and 5’8 currently (still growing lol) and the rear seats and foot/height of the MY are fantastic. The rear seats also recline which my kids love. I’m 6’1 and I’ve sat in the rear with no issue and a huge amount of space for my knees/legs. Also found the seats sit higher so one does not crunch their legs up as when sitting in the S. Getting in and out of the Y is even easy for my elderly mother and father in law.

Another plus for us was the auto flip down buttons in the rear trunk area so one doesn’t have to manually flip each seat down. Something the S is strangely lacking as well.

My wife was initially skeptical on the Y as we’ve also had a S from 2016 days (kids were much smaller) and absolutely loved it…but once we drove the MYP and saw how easily everyone fits plus the power for the Perf, was an easy choice. Comfort wise, suspension is not as comfortable but we addressed it with larger tires (275/295 Vs 255/275) and slightly lower psi.

Here’s another fantastic feature we discovered a few months ago …a full camping mattress which we we now use on some longer soccer game trips :) priceless!

Good-luck with your purchase! The S is gorgeous in her own right…but for a family? Not my first choice.

Attachments

• IMG_0522.jpeg
    IMG_0522.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Upvote 0
We has this exact issue when considering a new S. In the end we also tried out the MYPerf 5 seater and voila..the best option for us. MX we’ve had a 6 seater in the past and it had less practical space than we thought.

Kids are 5’11 and 5’8 currently (still growing lol) and the rear seats and foot/height of the MY are fantastic. The rear seats also recline which my kids love. I’m 6’1 and I’ve sat in the rear with no issue and a huge amount of space for my knees/legs. Also found the seats sit higher so one does not crunch their legs up as when sitting in the S. Getting in and out of the Y is even easy for my elderly mother and father in law.

Another plus for us was the auto flip down buttons in the rear trunk area so one doesn’t have to manually flip each seat down. Something the S is strangely lacking as well.

My wife was initially skeptical on the Y as we’ve also had a S from 2016 days (kids were much smaller) and absolutely loved it…but once we drove the MYP and saw how easily everyone fits plus the power for the Perf, was an easy choice. Comfort wise, suspension is not as comfortable but we addressed it with larger tires (275/295 Vs 255/275) and slightly lower psi.

Here’s another fantastic feature we discovered a few months ago …a full camping mattress which we we now use on some longer soccer game trips :) priceless!

Good-luck with your purchase! The S is gorgeous in her own right…but for a family? Not my first choice.
Thanks very much. Very useful first hand experience. I do also agree that the seats sit too high in the Model S. Never considered the MY indeed but will take a serious look at it!

Reactions: Destiny1701
Upvote 0
Thanks very much. Very useful first hand experience. I do also agree that the seats sit too high in the Model S. Never considered the MY indeed but will take a serious look at it!
No problem. The S does have its advantages as well don’t get me wrong!
The hatchback makes the cargo space enormous. In the looks dept, the best looking Tesla by far. The dash screen in front is nice but we had the previous gen S with a customizable one so losing that feature was interesting. We also had a full panoramic sunroof so it was also a distinguishable feature of the S…now gone.

We just found that for a family with teen kids Vs younger children, the S had its time. The MX is the family hauler to the S and we had one in 2017 100d for approx 6 months but the one wing door sensor kept opening only a few feet and my little 8 yr old at the time had to keep squeezing out. Went to fix 5x and they never could find a permanent fix. So we traded it back for a 2018 S and enjoyed it until 2022. Power and comfort was never a problem and the S gave us a good mix of sport, performance and utility.

Enter 5 yrs later and in 2022 we went looking straight for the new S after seeing some reviews on the Y and some suspension comfort concerns. S had lot of interior improvements…new screen, cup holders, door pockets…but lost the the sunroof and a slightly smaller frunk and trunk side pockets….but exterior not so much. (Wider fenders and black trim over chrome). The fit and finish was way better than the 2018 hands down. The teens sat in the rear and found the 2 main seats fine but same issue with their knees sitting high and it felt like they were mid ab crunch all the time lol. Also strangely it felt like less knee space than in our prev S. The middle seat no way. I sat in the rear and it was not fun.

There happened to be a MYP in the showroom next to the S so the kids actually went across first and sat in it. Instantly they called me over and started pointing out features for me .right away lol. They told me to sit in the back. It was like sitting in economy plus vs a small economy seat. I had about 3” of knee space and the drivers seat was almost all the way back. I also sat with my legs perfectly at 90 angle and didn’t feel like I was crunching up my stomach. The roofline was higher and it also has the full glass roof. Then we saw the auto flip down feature at the rear hatchback and went right to the S to see if it had one. Oddly it did not which we found strange given it’s also a hatchback. Then sat at front of the Y and initially thought the one screen was just like the M3 we own so ok…same config. So we test drove one sitting outside.

Driving it for 20 min and having one centre screen made no diff to us as we had a model 3 as well for about 6 months. Was used to the one screen. This would be our second tesla. The interior finish was pleasantly better than on picture or video (not the S mind you) but clean and more crafted than one initially sees. (Similar to the model 3 but better door finish and materials felt better suited for a larger cabin. The power of the Perf was incredible and for a higher SUV, the handling was superb. We did feel some suspension bumps but not what the reviews had said about the Y. And that was with stock setup and 44psi. My wife essentially said let’s get it. She likes sitting higher and the viability was far better than the S. Looks dept…not a fan of the front lights but the rear looked meaty and said ‘don’t f with me’ lol.

Comfort wise, after we took delivery I initially reduced psi to 38/39 right at the dealership and it helped soak up smaller bumps. Then i decided to opt for wider rears (same Michelin AS4’s) and shift the oem rears to the front. This added .5” of rubber exactly to both front and rear. Same 38 psi and we hardly even pay attention to suspension.

So far in 11 months of ownership and 30000 Km driven, we’ve had zero issues with it. At delivery there was a slight gap on the trunk lid which they re aligned same day. Other than that it’s been a flawless experience. For a family SUV, it has provided us what we wished for. Plenty of utility, front and rear space, flat fold down seats, rear leg and height, all 3 rear seats comfortable, better visibility, fantastic sound system, incredible power on demand and that camper mattress for longer day soccer game trips. Nothing to complain about tbh.

Wish you well. Any tesla is better than none :)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Philinator
Upvote 0
Before you go down the road of a Y, how big are your kids? Is range and efficiency important to you? My Y had far worse range and efficiency than my MS LR. For me driving the Y was like driving a refrigerator down the roads. It is the car most like an appliance that I've driven in a long time. If you need a big electric drive box, then the Y is a great option. Aside for more room, I can't see any reason to recommend it over even the 3.

If you have really tall kids, the Y might be a better choice than the S or 3 assuming you are riding with them for frequently and for a long time. I have to say that the Y just feels cheap, inexpensive and sort of boring compared to the S. The S has much better ride comfort as well. I would say my range of my MS LR vs my MY LR was about 50% greater.

If it came down to an X or or Y, I'd likely chose the Y. I think the falcon wing doors are not worth the hassle and the efficiency of the X is horrible.

Upvote 0
No problem. The S does have its advantages as well don’t get me wrong!
The hatchback makes the cargo space enormous. In the looks dept, the best looking Tesla by far. The dash screen in front is nice but we had the previous gen S with a customizable one so losing that feature was interesting. We also had a full panoramic sunroof so it was also a distinguishable feature of the S…now gone.

We just found that for a family with teen kids Vs younger children, the S had its time. The MX is the family hauler to the S and we had one in 2017 100d for approx 6 months but the one wing door sensor kept opening only a few feet and my little 8 yr old at the time had to keep squeezing out. Went to fix 5x and they never could find a permanent fix. So we traded it back for a 2018 S and enjoyed it until 2022. Power and comfort was never a problem and the S gave us a good mix of sport, performance and utility.

Enter 5 yrs later and in 2022 we went looking straight for the new S after seeing some reviews on the Y and some suspension comfort concerns. S had lot of interior improvements…new screen, cup holders, door pockets…but lost the the sunroof and a slightly smaller frunk and trunk side pockets….but exterior not so much. (Wider fenders and black trim over chrome). The fit and finish was way better than the 2018 hands down. The teens sat in the rear and found the 2 main seats fine but same issue with their knees sitting high and it felt like they were mid ab crunch all the time lol. Also strangely it felt like less knee space than in our prev S. The middle seat no way. I sat in the rear and it was not fun.

There happened to be a MYP in the showroom next to the S so the kids actually went across first and sat in it. Instantly they called me over and started pointing out features for me .right away lol. They told me to sit in the back. It was like sitting in economy plus vs a small economy seat. I had about 3” of knee space and the drivers seat was almost all the way back. I also sat with my legs perfectly at 90 angle and didn’t feel like I was crunching up my stomach. The roofline was higher and it also has the full glass roof. Then we saw the auto flip down feature at the rear hatchback and went right to the S to see if it had one. Oddly it did not which we found strange given it’s also a hatchback. Then sat at front of the Y and initially thought the one screen was just like the M3 we own so ok…same config. So we test drove one sitting outside.

Driving it for 20 min and having one centre screen made no diff to us as we had a model 3 as well for about 6 months. Was used to the one screen. This would be our second tesla. The interior finish was pleasantly better than on picture or video (not the S mind you) but clean and more crafted than one initially sees. (Similar to the model 3 but better door finish and materials felt better suited for a larger cabin. The power of the Perf was incredible and for a higher SUV, the handling was superb. We did feel some suspension bumps but not what the reviews had said about the Y. And that was with stock setup and 44psi. My wife essentially said let’s get it. She likes sitting higher and the viability was far better than the S. Looks dept…not a fan of the front lights but the rear looked meaty and said ‘don’t f with me’ lol.

Comfort wise, after we took delivery I initially reduced psi to 38/39 right at the dealership and it helped soak up smaller bumps. Then i decided to opt for wider rears (same Michelin AS4’s) and shift the oem rears to the front. This added .5” of rubber exactly to both front and rear. Same 38 psi and we hardly even pay attention to suspension.

So far in 11 months of ownership and 30000 Km driven, we’ve had zero issues with it. At delivery there was a slight gap on the trunk lid which they re aligned same day. Other than that it’s been a flawless experience. For a family SUV, it has provided us what we wished for. Plenty of utility, front and rear space, flat fold down seats, rear leg and height, all 3 rear seats comfortable, better visibility, fantastic sound system, incredible power on demand and that camper mattress for longer day soccer game trips. Nothing to complain about tbh.

Wish you well. Any tesla is better than none :)
Wow, again, I really do appreciate you taking all this time explaining your thought and decision making process. I never gave the Y a second look I must admit, I always thought it was way smaller than the S. For the life of me I can't figure out how Tesla can make a car small for such a large and premium car. It is an accomplishment on its own.
I do like the range of the Model S though. The family still has a trauma when I had the S 60 in 2014. Man that was a real shock in terms of range. Add to that cold weather when going on skiing holidays and the range dropped to 180 km (110 miles) on the high way. With far less Superchargers then, the family is horrified that I even consider thinking about Tesla again. Especially as I sold the Model S because of back problems.

I have taken a look at the Model X but it is too expensive. For that money you could get a BMW i7 (50) (not with all the gadgets of course). Slightly more money but at least you would be able to sit properly.

The kids have seen the BMW iX and prefer that, and the recently announced i5 as well. this is going to be a hard sell to get to the Tesla dealership :)

I am going back to the think tank....

Upvote 0
Before you go down the road of a Y, how big are your kids? Is range and efficiency important to you? My Y had far worse range and efficiency than my MS LR. For me driving the Y was like driving a refrigerator down the roads. It is the car most like an appliance that I've driven in a long time. If you need a big electric drive box, then the Y is a great option. Aside for more room, I can't see any reason to recommend it over even the 3.

If you have really tall kids, the Y might be a better choice than the S or 3 assuming you are riding with them for frequently and for a long time. I have to say that the Y just feels cheap, inexpensive and sort of boring compared to the S. The S has much better ride comfort as well. I would say my range of my MS LR vs my MY LR was about 50% greater.

If it came down to an X or or Y, I'd likely chose the Y. I think the falcon wing doors are not worth the hassle and the efficiency of the X is horrible.
My kids (2 boys) are aged 18 and 15 and the oldest girl is 20, although she does not always travel with us on holidays. the boys are average height so that is still ok. Range and efficiency is super important to me (don't want to relive the horrors of the Model 60, see above!). I also heard the X is inefficient although they claim to get to WLTP 580 km here in The Netherlands. So probably closer to 400- 430 km in real live. Or is that way off? I haven't seen any real stats on the Long Range which are reliable.

Upvote 0
I can give you real world range numbers from my MY LR. It had the factory 19" wheels and all season tires. I got about 320-350km on a full charge in 0C weather driving about 120 km/h. Under the same conditions in my S, maybe driving a bit faster, I got easily over 500km on a full charge, closer to 520km. Keep in mind that you don't really want to charge it to 100% unless you need to due to battery degradation. A lot of threads here on that.

My M3 LR is pretty much in between my Y and S for range under similar conditions. In the summer here it is very hot, already going to be +40 this week but range is about 10% greater in the hot summer with the AC on.

Best tip I can give you on any Tesla is DON'T go for the bigger tires if you want the best range. Stay with the 18 or 19" wheels. I have 21's on my Plaid and they kill the range more than enjoying the acceleration of the Plaid.

As for the X, I can't tell you for sure but I think you are likely correct or close to it. The X sucks down electrons pretty fast. It also rolls on either 20 or 22" wheels which don't help. I don't know about pricing in the EU, but I'd buy the Plaid X over the base Plaid if it is only about a 10k Euro difference like in dollars here.

Upvote 0
I can give you real world range numbers from my MY LR. It had the factory 19" wheels and all season tires. I got about 320-350km on a full charge in 0C weather driving about 120 km/h. Under the same conditions in my S, maybe driving a bit faster, I got easily over 500km on a full charge, closer to 520km. Keep in mind that you don't really want to charge it to 100% unless you need to due to battery degradation. A lot of threads here on that.

My M3 LR is pretty much in between my Y and S for range under similar conditions. In the summer here it is very hot, already going to be +40 this week but range is about 10% greater in the hot summer with the AC on.

Best tip I can give you on any Tesla is DON'T go for the bigger tires if you want the best range. Stay with the 18 or 19" wheels. I have 21's on my Plaid and they kill the range more than enjoying the acceleration of the Plaid.

As for the X, I can't tell you for sure but I think you are likely correct or close to it. The X sucks down electrons pretty fast. It also rolls on either 20 or 22" wheels which don't help. I don't know about pricing in the EU, but I'd buy the Plaid X over the base Plaid if it is only about a 10k Euro difference like in dollars here.
Agreed with above. Except we get around 360-370km on our 22’ MYP with 21” Ubers, around 20 celcius, combo city/highway. My neighbour has a 2023 MYLR with 19” gemini and gets around 430km same relative conditions. We’ve compared from time to time.

370/488 original max Km = 75% efficiency with my 21” wheels
430/531 original max Km = 80.9% assuming 19” wheels

Agreed the Tesla MS LR is around 520/652km = 79.75% assuming 19” wheels.

Not much different in terms of efficiency but overall range of the MS. Is simply more. You get what you pay for in terms of battery kw size.

In the end, you should balance out your need for efficiency with daily comfort for you and your family. It does no good to have a 500+Km range in a vehicle that doesn’t suit your families needs. Conversely it also doesn’t work to buy a vehicle better suited to passengers but doesn’t provide you enough range. I guess only you know how much your S60 provided in real world and whether the Y would suit or the S. 🤷🏽‍♂️

All I can advise is don’t get a car because the range suits but the utility or comfort for the family doesn’t! The S is a gorgeous machine hands down…but what you don’t want is the back seat passengers grumbling every drive. That will get annoying no matter the range lol.

Reactions: gt2690b
Upvote 0

difference between plaid and non plaid is 20,000 euro. Too much! For the money of a plaid, i have a reasonably specced i7 50. No competition (ok in 0-60 I would be left behind)

Upvote 0
Agreed with above. Except we get around 360-370km on our 22’ MYP with 21” Ubers, around 20 celcius, combo city/highway. My neighbour has a 2023 MYLR with 19” gemini and gets around 430km same relative conditions. We’ve compared from time to time.

370/488 original max Km = 75% efficiency with my 21” wheels
430/531 original max Km = 80.9% assuming 19” wheels

Agreed the Tesla MS LR is around 520/652km = 79.75% assuming 19” wheels.

Not much different in terms of efficiency but overall range of the MS. Is simply more. You get what you pay for in terms of battery kw size.

In the end, you should balance out your need for efficiency with daily comfort for you and your family. It does no good to have a 500+Km range in a vehicle that doesn’t suit your families needs. Conversely it also doesn’t work to buy a vehicle better suited to passengers but doesn’t provide you enough range. I guess only you know how much your S60 provided in real world and whether the Y would suit or the S. 🤷🏽‍♂️

All I can advise is don’t get a car because the range suits but the utility or comfort for the family doesn’t! The S is a gorgeous machine hands down…but what you don’t want is the back seat passengers grumbling every drive. That will get annoying no matter the range lol.
Yeah completely agree. Putting in a longer range but having complaints from the backseat after doing 200km with still 300 km range to go doesn’t make any sense.

I will test drive the i7 next week. I think the outside is ugly and the car looks too big, but interior is amazing. Sorry for all the Tesla fans including myself, know that if I buy a BMW I really really tried 😎

Reactions: Destiny1701
Upvote 0
Update on the i7. What a car! Amazing build quality, driving experience superb, going from standard mode to sport really changes the dynamic of the car. Agile car, superb pick up and power output when pressing accelerator. Seats are super comfortable, the tech is amazing especially the augmented reality in the center dash. And then the back seat....,... drum roll please........ the seats in the back are ....... also with a hump in the middle as there is a big arm rest with all kinds of stuff. That seat is also as uncomfortable, also because there is a hump on the floor and you sit quite elevated. I have asked the experts of BMW who did not know whether there was another option for seats as I though it had to do with the captain chair options. The sales person did not know so after some consultation they came back saying that is all ment for luxury and that people rarely travel with 3 in the back but that they would think it is possible especially if you change seats now and again. Sigh..... spending close to 130k in the now standard, lengthened version of a 7 series, which resembles more a limousine on a Vegas strip and then having to compromise on seat comfort. Bizarre.

Now what?????? :cool:

Upvote 0
Now what?????? :cool:
MY LR or MYP. I’ll say it again..perfect family EV. Try one out with the fam. You won’t be disappointed. (Note: check the psi at test drive. If it’s 44, pull over and get it down to 40 and now test.)

If you want extra range, get the LR. If you want added power, get accel boost option for it.

IMG_2938.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0