Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad, confusing, misleading delivery experience. Do NOT buy a used P90DL from Tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d consider a Model 3 except I need free supercharging. I’m now seriously thinking of getting something like a S7, or RS7. Audi’s CPO adds a year so if you get a 2016 car, you’ll have warranty until 2021, which is comparable to Tesla used.

I'm confused, so it's either free supercharging or choose something for which fuel will cost a few times more than paid supercharging would? :)

I'm confused, so it's either free supercharging or choose something for which fuel will cost a few times more than paid supercharging would? :)

Do your math.

A regular car with 35mpg would cost me about 7 cents of gas per mile to drive.
A performance car with 20mpg that needs to be filled with premium gas (costs $3 where I live) costs about 15 cents a mile.

Tesla Supercharging costs $0.28 per kWh. On average, the P90DL I gave back did about 330 wh/mi. That works out to 9.3 cents a mile. So... gas is more expensive, but not "a few times" more expensive.

While getting gas for a low-mpg high performance car is more expensive than supercharging, keep in mind that it's vastly superior when it comes to charging times and availability. I get the argument for charging at home - it's a lot cheaper, and you wake up to a full tank every day - but if my options solely come down to supercharging vs. buying gas, I'd do the latter for its immense convenience.

Reactions: darxsys
i totally agree with you, dealers and/or manufactures have to disclose accurate numbers especially when they claim that they (Tesla) performed 70 point inspection on the car before listing it for sale. i would assume that they are inspecting battery and motor and can easily figure out what would be the actual range.

Agreed (with everyone so far). Tesla really should post on their used car pages the current battery range at both 90% and 100% so potential owners can know the level of degradation. Right now they just show the EPA rating when the car was new.

Would be extremely annoying to purchase a 90D where on their site it says rated for 294 miles only to get it home and see it charges to just 270.

Reactions: neroden and David99
i totally agree with you, dealers and/or manufactures have to disclose accurate numbers especially when they claim that they (Tesla) performed 70 point inspection on the car before listing it for sale. i would assume that they are inspecting battery and motor and can easily figure out what would be the actual range.

Their 70 point inspection is a bit of a joke. 2 of my tires were basically bald on the inner edge which I didnt notice until after driving it 300 miles home, I complained to my mobile service guy and they gave me 2 brand new tires.

Another issue I had was my floor mats, the velcro was missing from the drivers side causing it to bunch up under the pedals, a major safety issue and would have been immediately obvious if they did an inspection. The floor mats were replaced under warranty via Tesla service but why waste service time when all of this could have been caught during initial inspection.

How did either of these get past the 70 point inspection? I'm not convinced they even check anything.

Reactions: neroden