Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Banff to Jasper AB to Kamloops in Model S 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an 85D with about 200 miles actual range. I am planning on traveling the Canadian rockies for a week in August. I will be staying overnight in Banff and Jasper. I can get to Banff from my home in Washington state on the supercharger network. I will have to charge between Banff and Jasper and again between Jasper and Kamloops. I haven't used a charger away from my home other than Tesla superchargers since 2016. According to plug share there are some charging stations I will need in Saskatchewan river crossing and in Blue river. Has anyone driven this route in the summer? I'm guessing there will be a lot of electric cars on these roads in August and not many charging options. Do you think there will be a long wait (hours) for these chargers? The last time I had to charge on a public non Tesla charger in 2016, I found many did not work. Do you know if these chargers are well maintained and likely to be working.

I have an 85D with about 200 miles actual range. I am planning on traveling the Canadian rockies for a week in August. I will be staying overnight in Banff and Jasper. I can get to Banff from my home in Washington state on the supercharger network. I will have to charge between Banff and Jasper and again between Jasper and Kamloops. I haven't used a charger away from my home other than Tesla superchargers since 2016. According to plug share there are some charging stations I will need in Saskatchewan river crossing and in Blue river. Has anyone driven this route in the summer? I'm guessing there will be a lot of electric cars on these roads in August and not many charging options. Do you think there will be a long wait (hours) for these chargers? The last time I had to charge on a public non Tesla charger in 2016, I found many did not work. Do you know if these chargers are well maintained and likely to be working.
I would be careful with the Sask river crossing location as it is powered by a diesel generator and is not always in service based on other peoples reviews of the site. I would confirm that the EVSE is working before heading that way. Might also be worth while topping up at Lake Louise on your way by.

Do you have a Chademo adapter? If not you are going to have a long wait to recharge to get from Jasper to Kamloops as there are only Level 2 and 50 kw fast chargers on that route (CCS and Chademo).

We drove from Lake Louise to Jasper proceeding to Kamloops in September 2020 in my wife's X75D. There was no supercharger yet in Jasper and we had to wait for a J1772 charger in town. Our Chademo adapter made the trip easy and fast, we never had to wait to charge. Be sure to visit the High Five Diner in Little Fort, a highlight of that route, plenty of charging across the road, picnic tables, etc. We left Lake Louise with a full charge and made it to Jasper without requiring a charging stop.

Reactions: Tectonic
We're planning a similar trip at the end of May (2019 M3 SR+). Planning to stay overnight in Lake Louise to make sure we're topped up, and hopefully won't have to charge at Sask River Crossing. We'll be using our CHAdeMO adapter between Jasper and Kamloops (overnighting in Valemount).

As mentioned above, if you don't have a CHAdeMO adapter, the Jasper-Kamloops stretch would require some long L2 charging stops or a strategic overnight charge. I know some of the local Tesla clubs have an adapter to rent/loan out to members.

Reactions: Bitjockey
I'm planning a similar trip this September, going from Seattle to Kamloops to Jasper, then down to Lake Louise and Banff. There is supposed to be a new Supercharger in Clearwater this Spring/Summer. Tesla Superchargers coming to Clearwater, B.C.. Just not sure if one charge will be enough to cover Clearwater to Jasper.

Unfortunately, there hasn't been any progress on a supercharger in Clearwater that's been reported (and it's not on Tesla's map of upcoming sites), so I wouldn't expect it by September. Your best best for that route is either buying/borrowing a CHAdeMO adapter or hoping that Tesla releases their CCS adapter by then.

We're planning a similar trip at the end of May (2019 M3 SR+). Planning to stay overnight in Lake Louise to make sure we're topped up, and hopefully won't have to charge at Sask River Crossing. We'll be using our CHAdeMO adapter between Jasper and Kamloops (overnighting in Valemount).

As mentioned above, if you don't have a CHAdeMO adapter, the Jasper-Kamloops stretch would require some long L2 charging stops or a strategic overnight charge. I know some of the local Tesla clubs have an adapter to rent/loan out to members.
@Tectonic, how did this trip between Banff and Jasper work out for you in SR+? I'm looking to do a trip with 2020 M3SR+ as well. Thanks!

To follow up my previous post, I found this blog http://teslaroadtrip.blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Tesla-Road-Trip-Report-v1.1.pdf that reported a 2018 long range model 3 made it from Jasper to Kamloops. This saves a significant amount of time instead of going to Golden as Vancouver was our destination, so I decided to attempt it as well. We had two adults, four kids, lots of gear and a rooftop cargo carrier, so not ideal for range. Charged to 100% at Jasper, drove about 5 below the speed limit and arrived at Kamloops with 5%. We turned out twice for bathroom breaks, which cost us a bit. So, this is definitely doable in this direction in the summer months. Worst case, there are L2 stations available and if someone brings the CHAdeMO or CCS adapters there shouldn't be range anxiety at all.