Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base black exterior needs extra protection?

Do you add extra protection on your Model 3 black exterior paint?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I watched a YouTube video saying that the base black paint is more fragile/thinner than other colors, and they suggest to add extra protection on the exterior for the black paint. I don’t expect Tesla paint to be tougher/stronger than other brands, but I definitely don’t expect the black paint to be more fragile than any regular ICE cars. I’m currently waiting for my order.So I wonder if any existing owner has notice any problem of the black paint? Do you suggest to get extra protection such as a coating?

Black paint in general can be much softer than other colors, not just for Teslas. GM's black paint is notoriously softer than their lighter colors. Because black paint shows so much it can also be perceived as being softer when it is just showing everything that another color might hide. We have customers consistently coming in with Tesla's regardless of model who want Paint Protection Film to make sure their car stays nice and the paint does not get beat up.

Recently I watched a YouTube video saying that the base black paint is more fragile/thinner than other colors, and they suggest to add extra protection on the exterior for the black paint. I don’t expect Tesla paint to be tougher/stronger than other brands, but I definitely don’t expect the black paint to be more fragile than any regular ICE cars. I’m currently waiting for my order.So I wonder if any existing owner has notice any problem of the black paint? Do you suggest to get extra protection such as a coating?
Non metallic black of any brand will need high quality waxing or nano ceramic to look good.

Another thread on paint... this theory is debunked.