Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery architecture comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
I am a long timer Tesla owner, now driving a Model X, giving my 2013 Model S to my wife.

I am just curious how other EV makers approach the battery. Tesla uses cell -> Module -> pack, starting from a very small cell 2170 or 18650(I don't know the latest), other makers starts with something a lot bigger. Here are some info I collected

1. The 2018 Nissan Leaf battery – like all previous versions – uses a 96s2p cell configuration, this means that in total there are 192 cells in the battery pack. However, the battery cells now have a much higher energy density. In the Nissan Leaf, each battery pack has 24 modules and each module has 8 cells.

2. a BMW i3, a total of 96 battery cells are installed. Twelve cells are combined into one module and eight modules are put together to go into the vehicle in the form of a pack.

3. Nio Battery
NIO Releases Details Of Battery Upgrade Offer To 84 kWh

Are the cell in leaf, i3 and Nio are EV specific battery? why other EV makers don't follow the same approach as Tesla using commodity cell?

Is it because too hard to follow Tesla's approach, or is it more efficient to start with larger EV specific battery?

Thanks in advance. Also pardon me if I made some wrong assumptions.

Kevin

Attachments

• nio_battery.JPG
    nio_battery.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 60