Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery charge limit - what happens when plugged in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get free charging at work, so five days a week I charge in work. Reading many of the other threads and the Tesla manual it all suggests I should ideally leave the vehicle plugged in.

I also understand there no way to set the battery charge limit based on location (like air sus).

With all this mind... If when I arrive home and manually set the battery charge limit to just below its current SOC. Connect car to the power. Will the vehicle use the power from the wall to manage the battery and do all the remote preheating options etc? Or does it drain the battery down to battery charge limit then draw from the wall?

Thanks!

If the car is plugged in all heating and cooling operations will use wall power. Battery charging will only happen if the state of charge drops a few percent below the set charge. If you use scheduled charging, it will top up the battery to the level set at the scheduled time.

Reactions: BrokerDon
First, the car doesn't need to be plugged in all the time. I only plug in once or twice a week and expect it to outlast many of the other batteries.

You may want to think twice about charging at work everyday just because it is free. Other employees often see this as an entitlement are resent it. So leave the spots open for other folks to use and don't try to stretch your employers good graces to the limit.
There are a number of EVs that may HAVE to charge daily just to make it home.

So easy solution, don't worry about charging every day, don't worry about charging at home and spending a little money.

• Love
Reactions: Big Earl
From the owners manual.
Tesla told me to have 2 settings, home 75%, trips 95 %.
Leave it plugged in every night as per manual.

Attachments

• official.JPG
    official.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 68