Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery depletion while M3 sleeping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a test while I was out of town. Charged my M3 SR+ to 90% (216 miles) right before I went on a 4 day trip. I left the charger unplugged to test how much the battery would deplete not connected to power. When I came back, range was at 177 miles. That seems kind of steep for no activity. I probably logged into the Tesla app 2 or 3 times. Thoughts?

Do you have any (any) third party apps (stats, teslafi remote s etc) running at all? That is pretty high for an amount of electricity used while sleeping. I normally see about 2-3 miles a day lost unless the car is downloading something.

Any chance there was something downloading (map update, firmware update)?

I did create a Teslafi account a couple weeks ago. I just deleted the account, maybe that was it.

If you did not follow teslafi's specific instructions to enable sleep mode, that was likely it. Also, deleting your account will not stop teslafi from polling your car. You did not need to delete your account, you needed to change your TESLA account password. You still need to do that, if you want to see if it was teslafi keeping your car awake).

Fairly certain that if you didnt follow their specific setting instructions that is your issue, and if you dont change your tesla account to invalidate your previous account "token" teslafi will still keep the car awake... making you think that "oh wow I guess it wasnt teslafi".

For anyone else reading this, for new drivers, Any drain more than 5-7 miles a day is likely one of two things:

1. You signed up for some monitoring service (teslafi, stats, etc etc) and didnt configure it specifically like they advise for maximum sleeping.

2. The car is downloading some update, keeping itself awake.

Check those things first before wondering if your car has an issue, which is unlikely.

For OP

TL : DR -- change your tesla account password.

It also depends of how much temperature fell over night. It can make a big difference.

Yeah, there are a few other variables, like do you park outside, what temperature was it where you were parked, etc. Lots of threads here on all that. My suggestion though is for people to start from the baseline of "nothing but tesla has access to my account" and then test, and go from there.

To be clear, I am not (repeat NOT NOT) saying those services are bad at ALL. I am saying that IF one is having some issue with drain, to check there first, configuration, or simply deactivating them by changing your tesla password and checking again.

@antoinearnau .. not directed at you, just at anyone reading who is wondering.

After disconnecting Teslafi, no issues at all. The car sat for a day with no charge and didn't lose any range. Thanks for all the input guys.
Glad you got resolution to your issue. I use Teslafi and and have been able to reliably get my 3 to sleep both while connected to my NEMA 15-50 and while parked somewhere. I don’t have any other apps running. I used to have Stats and I believe the developer has updated it. Before I get out of the car I turn off AC and turn HVAC off. I also put the radio on mute and turn off the dash cam. My settings in Teslafi for sleeping are what they recommend. WiFi remains on. Since this has been done entirely empirically, the radio and HVAC off and dash cam off may have absolutely nothing to do with my car sleeping. This setup has been working for the last 4 days. In any case if your setup works don’t change a thing.

Attachments

• 25752772-0B81-4679-99BC-6AAD7C23DFD8.png
    25752772-0B81-4679-99BC-6AAD7C23DFD8.png
    465.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator: