Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i parked my 2018 MS 100D in an open parking lot at a resort overnight. It was there for 24 hours. During that time, the miles available went from 228 to 209. That seems really excessive to me. My understanding has been that a parked Tesla loses about 1% of battery charge each day it is left unplugged. That would be 3-4 miles, not 1 miles. Any thoughts???

Since the last few updates I have noticed significantly higher vampire drain than I have been used to. Even while parked in a closed garage with mild temperatures. Similar to what you are seeing.

I have read little things here and there about some issues with some equipment cycling while the car is parked and may be tied to a "bug" but haven't seen a lot on it.

All to say, I wonder if there is some bug that some of us are seeing and if there is anything that needs to be done about it.

i parked my 2018 MS 100D in an open parking lot at a resort overnight. It was there for 24 hours. During that time, the miles available went from 228 to 209. That seems really excessive to me. My understanding has been that a parked Tesla loses about 1% of battery charge each day it is left unplugged. That would be 3-4 miles, not 1 miles. Any thoughts???

What if your coolant pump was running for hours while the car was parked per this thread.

Yes. There was no hum or noise of any kind with mine.

I speculated about the reason for your unexpected battery drain because of what you had mentioned in your post:

i parked my 2018 MS 100D in an open parking lot at a resort overnight. It was there for 24 hours.

I, for example, noticed it just because the car was in my quite garage where I frequently spend time in.

Last edited:
If it triggers the recharge of the 12 volt battery from 50% to 100% it's significant. That happens 4 t
I checked the app 5 times. That’s almost 4 miles lost for each “wake-up”. That seems excessive
It depends on how far apart the checks were. If your check brought the 12 volt battery below 50% the car would initiate a recharge to 100%. On a sleeping car that happens 4 times a day. The drain on the 12 volt battery is higher when the car is awake than when it is sleeping. I have proved to my satisfaction that if I keep the 12 volt battery charged from an external smart battery charger there is zero loss of charge from the HVB.

If your check brought the 12 volt battery below 50% the car would initiate a recharge to 100%.

I know it's not the case for the OP's issue, but how about when you are plugged in? Does it still use the HVB to recharge the 12v battery?

I have proved to my satisfaction that if I keep the 12 volt battery charged from an external smart battery charger there is zero loss of charge from the HVB

Would you elaborate how you do it?

Thanks.

I know it's not the case for the OP's issue, but how about when you are plugged in? Does it still use the HVB to recharge the 12v battery?

Would you elaborate how you do it?

Thanks.
Charging of the 12 volt battery is always done from the HVB even when plugged in.
In other words while the HVB is being charged the 12 volt battery is not being charged.
When the HVB charge is complete the EVSE (UMC, HPWC, etc.) turns off.
That means wall power is not available to the car.

I connected a Schumacher smart battery charger to the 12 volt battery.
I wrote down the HVB battery SOC.
I let the car shut down.
I turned on the Schumacher.
Several days later I turned off the Schumacher and then checked the HVB SOC.
It had not changed from what I wrote down.

A smart battery charger is not a trickle charger. It monitors the battery and if the charge drops by a certain amount it turns on and brings the battery back to 100% and then returns to monitoring mode.
Specifically it is a Schumacher model XC103. I imagine it has been replaced by a newer model by now.

When the HVB charge is complete the EVSE (UMC, HPWC, etc.) turns off.
That means wall power is not available to the car.

Except when you heat the car using the app when I always notice the HPWC is used, which is good.

I connected a Schumacher smart battery charger to the 12 volt battery.

So, this was just a test and not something you do on ongoing basis since that would be a hassle.

Amazon sells Schumacher model XC103.

Thanks for the info.