Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, this is my first summer in Phoenix with my M3. I’ve noticed significant battery drain parking outside in extreme temperatures during the day. Is this normal?

(note - this was moved to model S by mistake, while trying to move it to model 3 battery and charging. I have already requested a mod for this subform move it to model 3 battery and charging, so dont slam the OP for posting it here as they did not post it in model S originally)

Perhaps cabin overheat protection. Perhaps Sentry mode. Perhaps both of those. Based on what you said, I am guessing cabin overheat protection is at least a part of it since you mention parked outside, and extreme temperatures, and didnt mention "and I turned cabin overheat protection off".

=========================================

(relevant snippet)

Cabin Overheat Protection​

The climate control system can reduce the temperature of the cabin in extremely hot ambient conditions for a period of up to twelve hours after you exit Model 3. Touch Controls > Safety > Cabin Overheat Protection and choose:
  • Off: Disable Cabin Overheat Protection.
  • No A/C: Only the fan operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 105° F (40° C). This option consumes less energy but the cabin temperature may exceed 105° F (40° C).
  • On: The air conditioning operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 105° F (40° C).
Note
Cabin Overheat Protection operates until 12 hours has elapsed since you exited Model 3, or until the Battery energy drops below 20%, whichever comes first.
Warning
Never leave children or pets in the vehicle unattended. Due to automatic shut-off or extreme outside conditions, the inside of the vehicle can become dangerously hot, even when Cabin Overheat Protection is enabled.

Reactions: CarFan77