Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery effects due to shipping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got to thinking....
We always hear that Teslas like being plugged in. So what is the likely effect on battery health from the month-long export process?
Presumably the battery is charged up to say 80% on leaving the factory? Is it's next charge likely to be weeks later when it arrives in the UK? Is this having any negative effect?

If shut down i.e. not sentry mode etc the M3 loses less than 1% per day. so while it might "like" being plugged in it can easily go the full shipping without the battery dropping to anywhere near zero which would be bad for the long term health.

I understand Tesla’s have various “Transport” modes, to allow the logistics teams an easier ride when moving them on and off ships etc. My guess too is that they are put into “deep sleep” for transit, so there would be little battery use.

They have massed arrays of chargers at Zeebrugge to let them get a charge on arrival in Europe, before they take their onward journey to the UK and other countries. Most of the ocean journey is in warm or hot conditions. The cars will be fine, unless half empty on dispatch.

Got to thinking....
We always hear that Teslas like being plugged in. So what is the likely effect on battery health from the month-long export process?
Presumably the battery is charged up to say 80% on leaving the factory? Is it's next charge likely to be weeks later when it arrives in the UK? Is this having any negative effect?

If the car is left to lose charge over 2 months without being charged then I can't see why it would be a problem, if it is they should redesign the product.