Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 Model S battery just failed but will be replaced under warranty however getting $600 charge for a cooler upgrade. Also my friend's 2017 Model X has had 4 replacement batterys. I think Tesla need to publish just how much the batteries are failing and if there is any relation to supercharger use.

They are working on or have launched million+ mile next generation batteries. Given the volume of cars they are producing and the competition, longer lasting batteries are better for the business as well as customer satisfaction and the environment. In 2019 they said that for the Model 3, the drive unit and body were designed for a million-mile life and that battery modules should last 500,000 miles. I think they have applied that thinking or much better to the 2022 versions of the Model 3, Y, X and S. So now we might be able to say that Tesla has a goal for the 2022 Model X (as an example) battery hopefully lasting a million+ miles.

I did put a note on my old site that you're probably looking for 057 Tech ;)

4 replacements on an X sounds interesting. Would love more details on that.

Supercharging degrades the batteries faster than the slower AC charging, but wouldn't cause them to fail more readily. The bulk of failures are related to hardware issues. Some of those hardware issues can cause other parts to fail in the pack, but overall the batteries themselves rarely just fail.

But yeah, as some others have suggested, check out our battery service plan for some peace of mind.

Reactions: MP3Mike