Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replaced HV Battery has EXACTY the same range as the failed one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week, after an HV battery replacement at 75K miles (warranty) I pickup my 2019 MS 100D from the Santa Fe, NM Service center and drove it home to Austin, Tx.

Checking the TeslaFi range on the new/replacement battery, it is EXACTY the same as my old one with 287 miles. I was hoping to attain the fleet average of around 315 miles (TeslaFi) for cars the same age with similar miles. But, no, it is as if the battery was nevrer never swapped and just came back to life. Zero difference.

Does Tesla do this intentionally? I complained in the first two years that the battery lost range very quickly, and they replied that I supercharged too much. Indeed I do. Last Two years and 25k miles my charging percentage is over 90% free supercharging. I have a wall charger but there are V3's where I walk my dog about three times a week... and at the HEB :).

My battery warranty is 8 years with unlimited miles. In light of this, I am trying to decide if want to continue this behavior or charge at home more...

Last week, after an HV battery replacement at 75K miles (warranty) I pickup my 2019 MS 100D from the Santa Fe, NM Service center and drove it home to Austin, Tx.

Checking the TeslaFi range on the new/replacement battery, it is EXACTY the same as my old one with 287 miles. I was hoping to attain the fleet average of around 315 miles (TeslaFi) for cars the same age with similar miles. But, no, it is as if the battery was nevrer never swapped and just came back to life. Zero difference.

Does Tesla do this intentionally? I complained in the first two years that the battery lost range very quickly, and they replied that I supercharged too much. Indeed I do. Last Two years and 25k miles my charging percentage is over 90% free supercharging. I have a wall charger but there are V3's where I walk my dog about three times a week... and at the HEB :).

My battery warranty is 8 years with unlimited miles. In light of this, I am trying to decide if want to continue this behavior or charge at home more...
As @DerbyDave mentioned, Tesla likely replaced your in warranty pack with a remanufactured one. These reman packs are typically 80%-85% of original rated range. The only way to get original rated range is with a new (not reman Tesla pack) or my might get lucky that the reman pack has not been degraded. Remember, a reman pack is not like to have new batteries.

Could you provide pic of your pack label so that we can help you better?

Also, double check that you are on rated range, not ideal range. Likely, you're on rated because ideal would be much higher...

Pic is from Tesla's warranty.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 103247.png

New and old battery labels
As @DerbyDave mentioned, Tesla likely replaced your in warranty pack with a remanufactured one. These reman packs are typically 80%-85% of original rated range. The only way to get original rated range is with a new (not reman Tesla pack) or my might get lucky that the reman pack has not been degraded. Remember, a reman pack is not like to have new batteries.

Could you provide pic of your pack label so that we can help you better?

Also, double check that you are on rated range, not ideal range. Likely, you're on rated because ideal would be much higher...

Pic is from Tesla's warranty.

View attachment 1027113
Sure

old pack

IMG_0551.JPG

New pack

IMG_0033.jpeg

New and old battery labels

Sure

old pack

View attachment 1033123

New pack

View attachment 1033124
Thanks for the pics. Your original pack was March 2019 (T19C) and the replacement pack was remanufactuctured once (R1). The replacement pack's original production date was December 2018. Actual reman date could be anywhere from Dec 18 to before they installed it in your car.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverString
I was supercharging when it happened and noticed the charge rate would not go above 35kw... I left the car for a few minutes and when I returned it was still charging at 35 kw.

So I decided to move to another charging stall and when I tried to put the car in reverse (pull-in style supercharger) that is when all the codes began to appear next to the red triangles. I don't remember the exact codes but it was something like "Acceleration Reduced may be restored on next drive", then "Pull over safely vehicle shutting down" but of course I was already stopped. At that point I got a steady stream of errors too fast and numerous to read. Car would not drive or reverse, trunk and frunk stuck shut etc.

Also had to push the car out to the tow truck due to the "pull-in" style charger configuration. It was amazingly easy to push considering its weight.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and NV Ray