TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Battery Life and Charging rate

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by dhrivnak, Nov 27, 2011.

1. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Jan 8, 2011
    NE Tennessee
    #1 dhrivnak, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
    I tried a little experiment and charged the last two times with my 120V UMC and to my surprise the my ideal miles were up a little from 179 miles to 183. So does anyone know is it better for the batteries to charge them slow? Or is is just a quirk of the software that shows slightly higher numbers after slow charging? Even before the little experiment I have been very pleased to see my ideal miles slowly increase over the past 6 months. I purchased the car used, and have kept a close eye on the battery. Normally I charge at 240V and 30 amp. Tesla_Range.JPG I now have about 7000 miles on the car.

I also plotted my standard miles and as you can see that number is highly variable depending upon how I have driven the day before.
  2. tomsax

tomsax Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Sammamish, WA
    It's pretty common to get more ideal miles when charging at lower rates. I don't think it's really any nicer to the battery, it's probably just easier for the car to hit maximum capacity on the battery pack at the lower rate.

RichKae is doing a Roadster battery longevity study to shed some light on this and other issues. If you're curious, consider participating in the study. I'll be releasing a new version of the log parser later today, and will post in that thread when it's available.