Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

battery life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious-----how long are the batteries really expected to last? I read a few years back when we bought our 2017 S and 2018 3 that they were expected to last 8-10 years, but nobody really new because the cars hadn't been round that long. And some were saying 10 to 20 years wasn't out of the question. Have many of the early buyers had to replace their batteries? And what does it cost to replace the batteries with a new one? Thanks.

I have an answer for you and you probably won’t like it. Most batteries will survive 10-15 years before replacement. However some will fail within 3 years and even sooner. Tesla has not shared the failure rate because ? Well because they don’t want to share all of their data apparently. I’ve heard they made the batteries “better” in 2016 chemistry wise but who knows how this has translated in the real world? Only Tesla knows for sure. I think the failure rate inside of warranty 8 years is like 10ish %. A high mileage car out of its warranty is true Russian roulette. It’s not just the battery cells that fail it’s the components around the battery that can fail. Oh and Tesla has reportedly not been willing to trouble shoot a pack other than swap it with a new or refurbished pack. Low mileage out of warranty issues happen as well. There have been moisture issues etc well documented on these threads. The bottom line is if you don’t have 12k+ laying around for a replacement don’t consider an out of warranty car. There is no guarantee you will or won’t need a very pricey replacement

Only Tesla knows for sure. I think the failure rate inside of warranty 8 years is like 10ish %.
That is an absurdly high estimate that from what I can see has no bearing in observable reality and implies they have replaced hundreds of thousands of batteries under warranty.

I would estimate the actual number is far closer to 1% than 10.

For what it’s worth I put nearly 200k miles on my 2016 S. Battery was fine when I sold it, had degraded about 12% from new.