Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery pack or Gas tank - Which gets more range per volume taken?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So anyone here know what goes into a car, both electric and ICE? And how the energy source differ from each other in a more detailed way rather than saying one is gas and other one is electric?

So gas based cars, I guess only have a fuel tank to store its energy source, gasoline. Just a hollow container to store liquid. That's on the opposite side of the engine. I never really understood why the gas tank can't be next to the engine, and its always opposite side. Like only super cars are the only cars that you may fill the gas tank at the front of the car

And then electric cars have a battery pack that is all flat and sits under the car. Taking every space possible, being as flat as possible. I know the main reason is weight distribution, and batteries are heavy. Even for a DJI Drone, the battery feels heavier than the functioning parts of the drone.

So what if say gas cars decided to make their fuel tank in the same matter as an electric car battery. By making it a flat rectangle and putting it at the bottom of the car? And electric cars decided to stack their battery all in the trunk area into a giant rectangle cube like a gas tank? Basically swapping designs.

And what energy source is heavier per same volume taken? Full tank of gas or fully charged battery pack?

a-typical-fuel-system.png
tesla-model-3-batteriezellen-lg-samsung-sk_grande.jpg

Gasoline is over 10 times more energy dense than lithium ion. Even factoring in the efficiency advantage of EVs compared to ICE vehicles, gasoline will result in less volume and weight compared to lithium ion for a given range. Having said that, EV drivetrains are lighter than ICE vehicle drivetrains, so that helps, but it doesn’t completely level the playing field from an energy density / specific energy standpoint.

Gasoline is over 10 times more energy dense than lithium ion. Even factoring in the efficiency advantage of EVs compared to ICE vehicles, gasoline will result in less volume and weight compared to lithium ion for a given range. Having said that, EV drivetrains are lighter than ICE vehicle drivetrains, so that helps, but it doesn’t completely level the playing field from an energy density / specific energy standpoint.

So I guess there are alot of variables.

What if we could get rid of the battery pack of the EV and somehow let it gets its power from like a wireless charging mat road, or a powerline above?

I am sure it will decrease its weight by alot because same with the drone, the actualy drone without battery is alot less heavy, making it feel like the drone's performance has to factor in carrying its heavy battery.

If we take out battery packs to satisfy a 20-50 mile range, will the Tesla go alot faster? Or be less heavy signficantly? I just wonder if professional race cars only supply just enough battery to get by to increase performance, not for best range.

I never really understood why the gas tank can't be next to the engine, and its always opposite side. Like only super cars are the only cars that you may fill the gas tank at the front of the car

For safety reasons. First because the engine is hot. Second, there is no room there. Third because they wouldn't pass frontal collision tests. The only car that comes to my mind, has it there is the Trabant Trabant - Wikipedia

And then electric cars have a battery pack that is all flat and sits under the car. Taking every space possible, being as flat as possible. I know the main reason is weight distribution, and batteries are heavy. Even for a DJI Drone, the battery feels heavier than the functioning parts of the drone.

yes, weight distribution and safety (crash)

So what if say gas cars decided to make their fuel tank in the same matter as an electric car battery. By making it a flat rectangle and putting it at the bottom of the car?

Gas tanks are usually sitting under the rear seat so not very different from your setup, but they don't need the total area under the car. (some cars have the tank under the trunk but this isn't the safest solution)

So I guess there are alot of variables.

What if we could get rid of the battery pack of the EV and somehow let it gets its power from like a wireless charging mat road, or a powerline above?

I am sure it will decrease its weight by alot because same with the drone, the actualy drone without battery is alot less heavy, making it feel like the drone's performance has to factor in carrying its heavy battery.

There is a lot of news about wireless charging on the highway. But that needs a standardization, all cars should be able to charge, this will take some time to implement.

There is some test for hard wired on road charging: Germany tests overhead wires to charge hybrid trucks on highways but I hope they don't go any further, it's just ugly

If we take out battery packs to satisfy a 20-50 mile range, will the Tesla go alot faster? Or be less heavy signficantly? I just wonder if professional race cars only supply just enough battery to get by to increase performance, not for best range.

To some point it will go faster due to reduced weight but there will be a flipping point where reducing capacity won't make it faster any more. This is due to the maximum power output of the battery. The larger the battery the more current it can supply, but with the cost of extra weight.