Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery powered freight trains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
Nature.com: Economic, environmental and grid-resilience benefits of converting diesel trains to battery-electric.

Or do what rest of world does, install overhead power lines (forgot the name for it)
I lived in Switzerland for a few years. All of the trains are electric.
However, Switzerland is a small compact country. The US has electric trains for commuters, subways, tramways, etc. but not for long distance travel since the cost to string wires for thousands of miles of intercity travel is prohibitive.
This looks like a feasible solution to the problem of long distance train transport.

I lived in Switzerland for a few years. All of the trains are electric.
However, Switzerland is a small compact country. The US has electric trains for commuters, subways, tramways, etc. but not for long distance travel since the cost to string wires for thousands of miles of intercity travel is prohibitive.
This looks like a feasible solution to the problem of long distance train transport.
Long distance is a non issue, there are 10,000's, maybe 100,000 miles built all across Europe and Japan (and elsewhere), all of it is post WW2.

Overhead lines are a mature and cheap way for rail, and there is many ways to deal with road crossings.
Now I am do see a need for a good mix of overhead and Diesel PHEV trains.