Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery suddenly draining more than normal while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 Model S (104, 039 miles)
The battery is suddenly draining more than normal while driving. As an example when I drove home last night (15m commute) I had 97 total range and when I woke up this morning I had 74 mile range. When I drove to work this morning I lost 3 miles before I had even gone 1. When I arrived to work it was showing 50 miles. It IS pretty hot here (Loveland, CO) and my car was parked in the morning sun.

I normally never let my car get that low; I have a charger at work that some out-of-towner parked their car in and left it all day, blocking the charger. And I normally park in the shade. Could this just be a one-off?

Thanks

Here is the last "trip" summary on my 2020 LR:
1687981750626.png

Upvote 0
2015 Model S (104, 039 miles)
The battery is suddenly draining more than normal while driving. As an example when I drove home last night (15m commute) I had 97 total range and when I woke up this morning I had 74 mile range. When I drove to work this morning I lost 3 miles before I had even gone 1. When I arrived to work it was showing 50 miles. It IS pretty hot here (Loveland, CO) and my car was parked in the morning sun.

I normally never let my car get that low; I have a charger at work that some out-of-towner parked their car in and left it all day, blocking the charger. And I normally park in the shade. Could this just be a one-off?

Thanks
Look at the Energy Graphs for better information.

My better is that cabin overheat cooling is turned on and the car is keeping the temperature down. (which isn't needed, the car is built to handle the heat)

Upvote 0
Look at the Energy Graphs for better information.

My better is that cabin overheat cooling is turned on and the car is keeping the temperature down. (which isn't needed, the car is built to handle the heat)
Older vintage cars like these do not have the new energy page which gives you a breakdown of how energy is used between various systems. I do not believe this is available for any variant 2020 or older based upon differences I see in the 2012-2020 versus 2021+ owners manual.

Upvote 0
Older vintage cars like these do not have the new energy page which gives you a breakdown of how energy is used between various systems. I do not believe this is available for any variant 2020 or older based upon differences I see in the 2012-2020 versus 2021+ owners manual.
Sorry, didn't realize that the older Model S was an exception. My 2018 Model 3 does have it.

Upvote 0
The Energy Graphs are generally rarely known to exist by most drivers, but recently they added a LOT of information to the section. The screen above is an example, Mine shows like 5+ things that it reports on the usage now.
And it's the only location where the car actually shows you how much real range that you have left.

Upvote 0
DerbyDave, where is that graph located at, in the phone app or in the cars display? I have a 2016 and cannot find it.
If it's the same as my 2015 you'll probably have to click the dotted menu button on the bottom bar to bring up your other apps and then it should be in there. The icon looks kinda like a graph I believe. Should say energy monitor I think...

Upvote 0