Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden drop when parked at specific mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 performance is about 4 years old and when fully charged shows nearly the same mileage compared to new.

However I started noticing weird discharge patterns recently. For example when parked overnight in my garage it usually uses a few miles per day. However when I have it parked when the display is around 195 miles remaining, it drops suddenly 12 miles to 183 just overnight. These miles get attributed to standby power in the display. After that it discharges normally again -- a few miles per day. The sudden 10+ mile drop always occurs just below the 200 mi range.

I also noticed when using the rated energy display I'm nostly under the rated line (orange line) when I have greater than 160 miles remaining. But after going below 160 suddenly I'm mostly above the line (green)

It almost seems like my battery has degraded but the fully charged display shows it hasn't. Then consumption is accelerated to catch up to the real battery level, intercepting that point somewhere around 160 miles? Do I need to calibrate my battery readout somehow?

Reactions: hiroshiy
I felt the same way - I.e., if the SOC is under 50% and the car is parked for some time, the SOC drops for standby power. I believe this is because the battery is getting colder, and voltage drops due to cold. You'll see higher range drops while parked at SOC 20% or 10%. It is not from degradation but less power availability in lower SOC in the cold. Once the battery warms up, I believe the car will get the range back.

Upvote 0