Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area to SoCal in a Raven X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a motor trend article that chronicles a test of a model s raven making it to SoCal on with no charging stops. They actually go from the Fremont factory to space x in Hawthorne which is about 360 miles, in a forecasted headwind and make it there with 40 miles to spare. There some vague details on how much time was spent in the slow lane with the trucks and the fast lane where most are doing 85 plus.

Does any one have any real world experience on this route with a raven X? This is a frequent route for me in my 2016 s and I’m looking to get down one 15-30 max charging stop. Can this be actually in done in a raven X with out sitting behind trucks going 60 mph the whole time?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...2019/exclusive-2019-tesla-model-s-review/amp/

I don't have a raven X, but a regular MX 100D, and this definitely would not be possible under normal conditions even for a raven. I live in Central LA and always stop at Harris Ranch with about 60 miles left after normal driving at freeway speeds (70-80mph).

Even if you add the extra 30 miles from the Raven, that's only 90 miles of range left at Harris Ranch which is about 180 miles to SF. You would really have to drive slow and draft behind trucks to make LA to SF without stopping, even in a raven.

I don't have a raven X, but a regular MX 100D, and this definitely would not be possible under normal conditions even for a raven. I live in Central LA and always stop at Harris Ranch with about 60 miles left after normal driving at freeway speeds (70-80mph).

Even if you add the extra 30 miles from the Raven, that's only 90 miles of range at Harris Ranch which is about 180 miles to SF. You would really have to drive slow and draft behind trucks to make LA to SF without stopping, even in a raven.
Thanks for the input. At least in the case of the S, there seems to be big improvements in efficiency such that you get closer to EPA stated range. Realistically I'm wondering if that improvement in efficiency in the X would allow for a single stop to charge for 15-30 mins. Sounds like you can do a single stop in your 100D X, but I would assume, you would be at least an hour to make it to SF.

Last edited:
I think it might be doable with one stop in a Raven X. You would want to postpone the stop as far as possible to get SOC down pretty low so you can charge faster. Since you are coming from San Jose I assume following their route 101S - Hwy 152 - I5 would be your route, and might be 15-20 miles closer. If you can make to Bakersfield you should have it knocked.

Have you tried some route planners to see if they show it as a possible?

I think it might be doable with one stop in a Raven X. You would want to postpone the stop as far as possible to get SOC down pretty low so you can charge faster. Since you are coming from San Jose I assume following their route 101S - Hwy 152 - I5 would be your route, and might be 15-20 miles closer. If you can make to Bakersfield you should have it knocked.

Have you tried some route planners to see if they show it as a possible?
Thanks I actually did quick try of a couple of planners. The one I used didn’t seem to have raven updates

Thanks for the input. At least in the case of the S, there seems to be big improvements in efficiency such that you get closer to EPA stated range. Realistically I'm wondering if that improvement in efficiency in the X would allow for a single stop to charge for 15-30 mins. Sounds like you can do a single stop in your 100D X, but I would assume, you would be at least an hour to make it to SF.

It depends if you have a charger on the other end. I get into Harris Ranch with ~60 miles charge and can charge up to 200 miles in about 30 minutes. That would be enough to get you anywhere near SF with 20-30 miles to spare except maybe the North Bay. If you're in San Jose you could probably get away with charging even less, maybe 15-20 mins. Since there are so many superchargers in both the Bay Area and LA I wouldn't worry too much about having a reserve upon arrival. Maybe a spare 5-10% at most.

With a raven you could reduce the above charging by 30 miles which would save a little under 10 mins, since at that point it would be hitting the taper. Overall not a huge difference for this specific trip.

Last edited: