Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV rebate to run out of money soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The EV shortages in BC has been well known for a while now.

Tell me about it. We put a deposit down on a Leaf SL Eplus a couple weeks ago. Delivery 2020.

But it is great to hear the deliveries continue at a high weekly rate. A few weeks back our Tesla rep said they had taken somewhere around 800 orders in one week. Looks like the demand continues. Those kind of weekly delivery numbers mean around 10 percent of Tesla production is going to one province in Canada. I would think Quebec also has significant numbers. Looking forward to seeing quarterly numbers for Canada.

While that's true, there is a tipping point where we will face a shortage of chargers. Tesla is currently delivery 80 cars per day in Vancouver. It's great! But if people aren't willing to fork $$ for home charging upgrades, the public/paid ones will get full quickly. Tesla in the US is already restricting how much you can charge on their superchargers to get more cars in.

Yes, I expect there will be a continuing dynamic between chargers and EV drivers looking for charging. I’m seeing Leafs pretty much every day on the Island along with some other BEVs. But most often I see the chargers empty. GVA might be different. Even at that, I expect that as demand for chargers increases, supply will also increase.

Even at that, I think that many potential BEV purchasers would respond to a $5,000 to $10,000 incentive to abandon ICE in favour of BEV and few would factor in a few hundred dollars toward a private charger. Again, I think if there were to be any incentive money for chargers, it should be delivered to “the best bang” which I think would be increasing the number of publicly available chargers.

But it is great to hear the deliveries continue at a high weekly rate. A few weeks back our Tesla rep said they had taken somewhere around 800 orders in one week. Looks like the demand continues. Those kind of weekly delivery numbers mean around 10 percent of Tesla production is going to one province in Canada. I would think Quebec also has significant numbers. Looking forward to seeing quarterly numbers for Canada.

This article says that Quebec and BC accounted for 94% of all Federal incentive claims since May 1st. Quebec buyers received 57% and BC buyers received 37% of funds.

Véhicules électriques: 57% des demandes de subventions viennent du Québec | MÉLANIE MARQUIS | Actualités

Quebec has about 23% of the population of Canada and BC has about 13% of the population. So Quebec has about 1.77 times the population of BC and received about 1.54 times more money.

The other 64% of the population shared the remaining 6% of the incentive money.

Of course not all of these incentives go to Tesla sales, but I think it is fair to assume the majority goes to Tesla sales.

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
I'm actually surprised Quebec is as high as it is. I'm probably repeating debunked concerns, but I would assume YVR has a better climate for (and a cultural bias towards) electric cars.

The population of Quebec is over 8 million while the population of the Greater Vancouver Area is only about 2.5 million. Much of BC has cold and snowy winters.

There is Vancouver Island where I live but it is a terrible place to live, so I hope no one else moves here. :cool:

The population of Quebec is over 8 million while the population of the Greater Vancouver Area is only about 2.5 million. Much of BC has cold and snowy winters.

There is Vancouver Island where I live but it is a terrible place to live, so I hope no one else moves here. :cool:

Actually, all of BC is a terrible place to live, so no more people should move here.

I also live in Victoria and it's awful, the weather is just terrible and makes me want to go back to Alberta every winter

Actually, all of BC is a terrible place to live, so no more people should move here.

I think that’s a bit extreme.

Fort Nelson is a lovely place.

Every year, after the first hard frost in early September the mosquitos are gone and you have a few weeks before subzero temperatures set in.

(When I worked in Dawson Creek, I cracked up when I learned that the annual “Fall Fair” was on the long weekend at the beginning of August.)

I think that’s a bit extreme.

Fort Nelson is a lovely place.

Every year, after the first hard frost in early September the mosquitos are gone and you have a few weeks before subzero temperatures set in.

(When I worked in Dawson Creek, I cracked up when I learned that the annual “Fall Fair” was on the long weekend at the beginning of August.)

Wow, sounds like a paradise. Maybe some Lower Mainlanders can move to Dawson Creek and Ft. Nelson...also Ft. St John would be nice and you don’t need to worry about wildfires since it pretty much burned down last year.

average over the last 4 days is $498k per day.
average since May 1 2019 is $439k per day.
I guess last week was just a lull...

cevforbc.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: AdamMacDon
Soooo, 90 cars per day on average...ish. Let’s assume 60 per day are Tesla’s (can the combined rest of the manufacturers even provide 30 cars per day to the province? I doubt it as I have to wait until the new year to get the Leaf SL Eplus we out a deposit on two weeks ago).

So maybe 540 Tesla’s per month going to BC alone. Quebec probably the same and maybe a few for the rest of provinces combined. So maybe 1100 out of a possible 6000 per week? Can’t be. That’s almost 18 percent of production. What am I missing?

I was crunching those numbers a couple of weeks back and wondering the same thing.

I concluded that they know there's enough demand, at least in YVR (and it sounds like Quebec as well), to sell as many cars as they can deliver. They're up against a June 30th quarter-end clock, and the BC rebate clock. There might be more money coming in BC, but I think the way the Gov't is topping up, creates a bit of a "run on the bank" (re: scarcity).

I checked and the US federal tax credit reduces from $3,750 to $1,875 for cars delivered after June 30th in the USA.

I think BC deliveries are only a few days lag (vs. going overseas), and the lack of $5k would probably have a bigger impact on sales in BC than in the USA, so I think that fact--coupled with the sheer number of SR+ black/black aeros that are being ordered to get under the federal rebate thresholds, means they are prioritizing BC deliveries.

That's my theory anyway!

I was crunching those numbers a couple of weeks back and wondering the same thing.

I concluded that they know there's enough demand, at least in YVR (and it sounds like Quebec as well), to sell as many cars as they can deliver. They're up against a June 30th quarter-end clock, and the BC rebate clock. There might be more money coming in BC, but I think the way the Gov't is topping up, creates a bit of a "run on the bank" (re: scarcity).

I checked and the US federal tax credit reduces from $3,750 to $1,875 for cars delivered after June 30th in the USA.

I think BC deliveries are only a few days lag (vs. going overseas), and the lack of $5k would probably have a bigger impact on sales in BC than in the USA, so I think that fact--coupled with the sheer number of SR+ black/black aeros that are being ordered to get under the federal rebate thresholds, means they are prioritizing BC deliveries.

That's my theory anyway!

Yah pretty much. But two questions.

1. Does it have to be a black on black aero? I though you could still dress it up as long as the base model was under the magic number. The reason I thought that is before we ordered the Eplus SL, we actually almost ordered a white on white with sport rims and thought that it would qualify.

2. Opinion on How realistic are those “other manufacturers” numbers. Can all of them combined even provide 30 cars to the BC market place? Are there even 400 other EV’s for sale in BC? I don’t know how many new Leafs there is but there isn’t one on Autotrader.

Cheers

Yah pretty much. But two questions.

1. Does it have to be a black on black aero? I though you could still dress it up as long as the base model was under the magic number. The reason I thought that is before we ordered the Eplus SL, we actually almost ordered a white on white with sport rims and thought that it would qualify.

2. Opinion on How realistic are those “other manufacturers” numbers. Can all of them combined even provide 30 cars to the BC market place? Are there even 400 other EV’s for sale in BC? I don’t know how many new Leafs there is but there isn’t one on Autotrader.

Cheers

1. Sorry, only meant that, with the black/black aero, Tesla can presumably crank them off the assembly line faster and ship them to a single location--YVR (I'm making that up, but it reminds me of Henry Ford who said, "you can have any color you want, so long as it's black"! No issues with qualifying for the federal rebate with colours, wheels, software upgrades, etc. so long as you order the SR+. You'll have to deal with BC luxury tax, but you'll get your federal rebate. Again, I'm making this up, but I think that's why a lot of us went with the "base" model...to avoid the additional luxury tax (which we dip into for 13%--all over $81)--and, for me, in the secret hopes other would too so that Tesla would have an incentive to mass produce them.

2. People on here have said that their dealers are reserving the BC rebate for other cars, but they aren't supposed to be able to do that without a VIN, and would have to deliver the car in 90 days or the reservation will be cancelled. My ICE dealer said he can't get his hands on ANY electric, except, I think, the Bolt (or maybe the Volt, I can't remember now). So, to your point, very low numbers for the Kona, Niro, e-Golf, etc., and I think those have all been spoken for. My bet is that Tesla is now running 90%+ of the BC rebates.

1. Sorry, only meant that, with the black/black aero, Tesla can presumably crank them off the assembly line faster and ship them to a single location--YVR (I'm making that up, but it reminds me of Henry Ford who said, "you can have any color you want, so long as it's black"! No issues with qualifying for the federal rebate with colours, wheels, software upgrades, etc. so long as you order the SR+. You'll have to deal with BC luxury tax, but you'll get your federal rebate. Again, I'm making this up, but I think that's why a lot of us went with the "base" model...to avoid the additional luxury tax (which we dip into for 13%--all over $81)--and, for me, in the secret hopes other would too so that Tesla would have an incentive to mass produce them.

2. People on here have said that their dealers are reserving the BC rebate for other cars, but they aren't supposed to be able to do that without a VIN, and would have to deliver the car in 90 days or the reservation will be cancelled. My ICE dealer said he can't get his hands on ANY electric, except, I think, the Bolt (or maybe the Volt, I can't remember now). So, to your point, very low numbers for the Kona, Niro, e-Golf, etc., and I think those have all been spoken for. My bet is that Tesla is now running 90%+ of the BC rebates.

I agree. And I’m one of those whose dealer showed both incentives on the order. Delivery expected early 2020. Not sure how they expect to do it but they assure me it is done.

In addition to my wife, my parents wanted a model 3 as well. If I order today, I probably won't get in before the rebates are used up eh? Best bet would be black/black sr+ 18+ lol.

I'm not so sure about that, assuming T can deliver it within 2 months. With another $32M allocated for this year, even at $500k/day, that would buy you 64 days. I'm not sure how much continued demand there will be for EVs, but I told a co-worker to order one ASAP with the expectation it will be here before the credits run out (car not ordered yet). There's an additional contingency fund beyond that, which I have no doubt the Gov't will draw down on for political expediency. Don't know if the $ will last all the way through until April (end of fiscal year), but I'd strike while the iron is hot. Tesla says you can pull out and get your deposit back right up until accepting delivery, so worst case is your parents are out of pocket $3,200 for a few months.

I agree. And I’m one of those whose dealer showed both incentives on the order. Delivery expected early 2020. Not sure how they expect to do it but they assure me it is done.
I don't purport to know how Gov't spend vs. budget works, but I bet all political parties will want to keep the program funded, particularly now that they've introduced legislation to kill all new ICE car sales in BC by 2040. Can't suck and blow on this political hot potato, so I think a good call on your dealer's part.