Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[BC only] ChargeBC - "free" FleetCarma OBD2 device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an email invite from CEVforBC to sign up for ChargeBC. The BC government is working with FleetCarma, who will provide a "free" OBD2 device to track our driving and charging data, in order to provide "insight into EV driver charging" to the government. What we get in exchange is free access to stats and graphs of the same driving and charging data for our own car.

Charge BC
Charge BC | FleetCarma

The terms actually provides some details on what's collected and available to view.
Charge BC Terms | FleetCarma

I thought there's no OBD2 port in the Model 3 at all but they've actually figured this out! They'll provide an interface cable bundle in order to plug in the OBD2 device:
https://www.fleetcarma.com/docs/SCR_Tesla 3 Install Instructions_digital.pdf

Last edited:
We have been using the C2 device on our Smart ED since they first brought it out, and earlier the previous generation of the device.

There is a lot of useful and interesting information available on the web dashboards. Definitely worth it for 'Free'.

TripLogs.png
DailyCharging.png

I just got my C2 device today (signed up for the program in September). The instructions don't look very complicated - I'm just stuck at the "create account" step. They say to create an account at Log In | FleetCarma but there's no "create account" button there. I emailed their support so hopefully they can point me in the right direction!

I installed mine a few days ago but haven't been able to create an account yet. Waiting for their email.

But what I've seen is that the C2 device keeps my M3D from sleeping -- my car lost 3% charge in 12 hours overnight with the C2 plugged in. My car usually loses less than 1% every 24 hours.

Same here! (finally created my account) This "SmartCharge Rewards" Dashboard provides the same kind of simple info as ChargePoint's "My Stats" page.

That totally sucks, because they are absolutely tracking the info...

We probably have a 'fleet' account view because we were part of the early prototype project. Sorry if I misled you guys :(

I remember giving them feedback on the "new consumer tools" for the current dongle and said that without the detailed trip and power logging the thing was useless to me.

That totally sucks, because they are absolutely tracking the info...

We probably have a 'fleet' account view because we were part of the early prototype project. Sorry if I misled you guys :(

I remember giving them feedback on the "new consumer tools" for the current dongle and said that without the detailed trip and power logging the thing was useless to me.

No worries! :) The "Trip Logs" CSV export is still useful, especially the SOC in 2 decimal places. Ours (for my Model 3 anyway) is missing the 2 Starting/Ending Odometer columns, the 2 Avg/Max Speed columns, and the % Idle column. Our Acceleration/Braking columns measure % "Smooth" vs yours % "Hard". So yeah they're tracking enough data the build the same bar chart you've; it's a shame they won't show it to us.

With some spreadsheet magic, we should be able to calculate vampire drain from this.

No worries! :) The "Trip Logs" CSV export is still useful, especially the SOC in 2 decimal places. Ours (for my Model 3 anyway) is missing the 2 Starting/Ending Odometer columns, the 2 Avg/Max Speed columns, and the % Idle column. Our Acceleration/Braking columns measure % "Smooth" vs yours % "Hard". So yeah they're tracking enough data the build the same bar chart you've; it's a shame they won't show it to us.

With some spreadsheet magic, we should be able to calculate vampire drain from this.

Do you get the ambient temperature column? I'd think that would help model the battery behaviour. Although you might get an approximation from the weather reports.

Any thoughts on whether the FC module may be blocking firmware OTA updates ?

I’m asking this because mine hasn’t had update notification whereas my wife’s X has.

I have read on this forum anything connected to the OBD may interfere with OTA.

Attachments

• E0381282-1F15-415F-91AF-F28237E79EE8.jpeg
    E0381282-1F15-415F-91AF-F28237E79EE8.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 58
Any thoughts on whether the FC module may be blocking firmware OTA updates ?

I’m asking this because mine hasn’t had update notification whereas my wife’s X has.

I have read on this forum anything connected to the OBD may interfere with OTA.

I can't remember for sure, but I received my 2018.50.6 OTA after I installed OBD C2 reader. I don't think the C2 device impacts the OTA updates.

• Informative
Reactions: Corsair