Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beep in my ear (Tinnitus) - Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used ear protection my whole life and avoided loud noises like the plague since I was a boy. My hearing is much better than most my age, 62 years old, but I have had baseline tinnitus my whole life as well. Lately it’s been worse. Doctor says it’s because my cochlear cilia are slowly starting to die From aging. Not sure I believe him.

In any case, there are certain noises that will definitely trigger my tinnitus to become suddenly worse and I absolutely believe that one of those noises might be coming from an electric car so continue your investigation. In my case, I don’t notice any increase When driving my Tesla.

Reactions: polyphonic54
I used ear protection my whole life and avoided loud noises like the plague since I was a boy. My hearing is much better than most my age, 62 years old, but I have had baseline tinnitus my whole life as well. Lately it’s been worse. Doctor says it’s because my cochlear cilia are slowly starting to die From aging. Not sure I believe him.

There are some interesting studies looking at the hearing of elderly indigenous peoples that were never exposed to machinery, combustion engines, amplified music, etc., Their hearing is comparable to young people. "Normal" hearing loss with age is likely due to the accumulated exposure to loud industrial-era noises.

>>this sounds more like pressure buffeting. There are some long threads. I’m not sure it’s a great solution, but one poster made it go away by tightly packing the area between the cargo cover and rear hatch with pillows and blankets. Useful as a test. No rear visibility except the rear camera.<<

Agree.

With a window even partially open the pressure buffeting can be almost painful, depending on the vehicle. My last Honda CR-V would alert me to a rear window cracked open by the fact my head hurt!

I've got it...Flew military jets for many years and rode / ride motorcycles( BMW only) for over 30 years.....did not use ear plus on the bike which was probably an issue....My flight helmet was ok, but should have used them.....Now I am ringing all day and night, but conversation and low music seems to make it less noticeable....I understand it can really be annoying but nothing to do about it except try to block it out.....enjoy you car and ride safe

Same here. I spent 35 years (civil) and doing external checks even with defenders you are deafened walking around the back end with the APU running. Then there's hours with the airflow noise: it all adds up cumulatively.

Chiming in here a year later...
I have had mild tinnitus for many years, but it has gotten worse lately and I have also noticed a pattern of increased ringing with spending more time in my Chevy Bolt. It could certainly be a coincidence, but there are two possible triggers; high frequency motor noise and electromagnetic fields. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that stronger fields exist in your home, but this is not accurate. There are large amounts of current flowing between the batteries and the motor, and this happens in very close proximity to the EV occupants.

• Informative
Chiming in here a year later...
I have had mild tinnitus for many years, but it has gotten worse lately and I have also noticed a pattern of increased ringing with spending more time in my Chevy Bolt. It could certainly be a coincidence, but there are two possible triggers; high frequency motor noise and electromagnetic fields. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that stronger fields exist in your home, but this is not accurate. There are large amounts of current flowing between the batteries and the motor, and this happens in very close proximity to the EV occupants.
EMF isn’t caused by large amounts of current flow, it’s caused by changes in the current flow. Since AC oscillates the signal, it produces EMF. Steady DC current doesn’t cause EMF. Anyway there’s no known mechanism for EMF to cause tinnitus. As far as high frequency motor noise goes, that’s easy to measure but I doubt the motor noise in the Bolt is loud enough to damage hearing..

EMF isn’t caused by large amounts of current flow, it’s caused by changes in the current flow. Since AC oscillates the signal, it produces EMF. Steady DC current doesn’t cause EMF. Anyway there’s no known mechanism for EMF to cause tinnitus. As far as high frequency motor noise goes, that’s easy to measure but I doubt the motor noise in the Bolt is loud enough to damage hearing..
Tinnitus is believed to be a brain problem, not an ear problem.

You may have underlying tinnitus, but I think you are experiencing "ear fatigue", where prolonged exposure to even slightly elevated sound levels and frequencies will leave you with a high pitched sound in your ears for some time afterwards, same as you would hear after very loud exposure. Might be from tire noise, wind, radio, etc. It usually resolves after several hours or over night. I do not have tinnitus but I just came in from a drive and hear a high pitch sound.

I have tinnitus. Mine sounds like a field of crickets, it’s constant and always at about the same volume. It isn’t unpleasant, it’s just there. I think it’s lifelong so I think I’d like to hear it as long as possible.

----- NOT A DOCTOR!!! ----
Lipo-flavonoid supplement?
(Lots on Amaze-on ~ I used Nature's Life Lemon Bioflavonoids Hesperidin & Rutin)

Lipo-Flavonoid White Paper

Former high-tone tinnitus sufferer.
Possible culprit: toxicity from antibiotics used to treat multiple sinus infections over years.
ENTs said I'd probably have to learn to live with it.
At wits end, I tried a long-shot suggestion of a non-doctor acquaintance.
Truly amazing results for me . . . I don't even care if it was a placebo effect.
YMMV

Kind Regards

Last edited:
----- NOT A DOCTOR!!! ----
Lipo-flavonoid supplement?
(Lots on Amaze-on ~ I used Nature's Life Lemon Bioflavonoids Hesperidin & Rutin)

Lipo-Flavonoid White Paper

Former high-tone tinnitus sufferer.
Possible culprit: toxicity from antibiotics used to treat multiple sinus infections over years.
ENTs said I'd probably have to learn to live with it.
At wits end, I tried a long-shot suggestion of a non-doctor acquaintance.
Truly amazing results for me . . . I don't even care if it was a placebo effect.
YMMV

Kind Regards
I've had Tinnitus for over 30 years. Early on I tried Lipo Flavonoid. It did nothing other than cost me some money.