TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Best beach town in LA

Discussion in 'California' started by krayons, Jun 6, 2019.

1. krayons

krayons Member

Page Utah sounds much nicer than LA. Unfortunately, Utah doesn't have a Chinese embassy so road trip time. BTW what's the best beach town around LA?

2. ScottRoberts33

Santa Monica for walking, shopping and restaurants. Beware thought, the police are notorious for ticketing cars without front license plates. The new supercharger there is in a public garage, and members here have been cited. If you have time, Venice Beach is good for walking and dining.

3. krayons

krayons Member

I have no front plate, they ticket people with out of state plates for no front plate?

4. ScottRoberts33

The locals call it the Republic of Santa Monica. They do. It’s the civilian arm of the police department, the ones in the little three wheel carts who do nothing but write parking tickets.

Please check out the thread for Santa Monica supercharger for users’ experiences.

5. maximizese

maximizese Member

Rules are rules. With all the infractions and hit-and-runs in and around the LA Metro area, enforcing a license plate on the front of a car will help with identifying cars. California finally wised up and now uses temporary plates with expiration dates. I've known people how have left their "Zero Emissions" plates on for 5 years and dealer placard on their BMWs throughout their entire ownership.

As for best beaches, it depends on what you want to do (walk, go in the water, surf, sail, run, volleyball, people-watch, eat, bar-crawl, etc). How much time and which days do you plan on spend near the beach because that matters a lot. My wife and I like to do brunch in Manhattan Beach, then watch surfers and volleyball players do their thing. You tend to run into a couple of former and current Lakers/Clippers/Kings and a lot of USC alums in that area.

6. Need

Need Active Member

I think the best beach towns here are Laguna Beach, Huntington Beach, and Hermosa Beach. Although if there are visitors coming, we took them to Santa Monica because people recognize the pier from the movies.