Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Battery Range Concern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speed and HVAC use are just some of the variables used to determine efficiency,
Do you have MYLR or MYP? What kind of tires do you have? What size tires you have on your vehicle? What was the tire pressure? What was the outside temperature?
There are several variables that impact efficiency, and therefore battery consumption.

P.S. The more mileage you put on the car, the lesser range anxiety you will have.
I have MYLR with 19" Wheels. Pressure is around 40psi all around. It was a bit cold this week in the high 30's low 40's all week in the mornings. I assume all those factors played into the numbers I am seeing. Not too worried about it now. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't seeing an issue.

The 3% idle loss could be a lot of things. Sentry mode, sure, most likely this time, but it could also be cooling the batteries for a few minutes after a long drive. I've also seen it stay awake trying to connect in a bad cell signal area. I see a 5% loss over night at our cabin if I don't power down the car when we arrive. (no cell service or wifi at cabin).

Alan,
Temperature, wind, wet streets and other factors play a role in the efficiency of the Y. More knowledge people can give better percentage than I can. I drove between Tyler and DFW area several times a week. From my limited experience I have found the best traveling temperature is between 60 - 90 degrees.

I have a new Model Y. Just picked it up on 2/8/2024. I have some concerns about range and since this is my first Tesla I figured I'd ask the community.

I had the car plugged into my wall charger overnight. I keep it charged to 80%. I unplugged it this morning. I drove 7 miles to my office and noticed I was already down to 77%.
Does that sound right to you all? 3% of my battery for 7 miles?

I did get on the highway. I drove around 70mph there. I probably sped up above 70 to get around slower traffic. I have the car in Chill mode so I don't accelerate fast.
I had the air on but it was cool this morning so I don't think it ran much.

Looking at the drive in the Tessie app I see the following info:
I drove 7 miles in 10 minutes.
Min speed 48mph
Max speed 79mph
Range Efficiency 78%
Energy Used 2.36kWh
Average Used 335Wh/mi

I have a planned trip from Dallas to Panama City Beach, FL next month so I want to make sure there isn't anything odd in my numbers before I leave for that.
I am assuming because my speed went up pretty high for a bit that it ate up more battery.

Thoughts?
you dont say which MY you have, but assuming MYLR, the avg efficiency target is 276 wh/mile
the Govt rounds and does kwh
1710201111805.png

try and go light on the pedal, keep top speed at or below 70 mph
watch the energy app in the vehicle for the consumption, instant, and you will see how you are driving
this will allow you to learn how to get max range

you dont say which MY you have, but assuming MYLR, the avg efficiency target is 276 wh/mile
the Govt rounds and does kwh
View attachment 1026899
try and go light on the pedal, keep top speed at or below 70 mph
watch the energy app in the vehicle for the consumption, instant, and you will see how you are driving
this will allow you to learn how to get max range
I am going to let the car FSD me all the way to FL next month and maybe set the offset to 2% . Will report back and let you all know how it goes...